Norway women's beach handball team fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms

Originally published at: Norway women's beach handball team fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Norwegians are always pushing the envelope.

16 Likes

International sports bodies just seem to attract the corrupt, the reactionary, and the sexist and racist as their leaders.

65 Likes

Forget about skill, forget about prowess, forget about anything except womens must always wear the sexys.

55 Likes

That’s where the money flows.

11 Likes

well, that’s some prime bullshit right there. i’d happily pay that fine.

22 Likes

And then there’s this: Paralympian Olivia Breen angered after official said her sprint shorts were ‘too short’

I guess that’s the difference between Norway and England.

23 Likes

Here’s hoping some cool shorts manufacturer sponsors them and pays the fines as part of their deal!

36 Likes

I wish we had better ways to see the process that enables nonsense like this (the banality of evil I suppose?)… who are the fools enforcing these rules? no one involved in the process says “hey, I’m not going to fine them for this, it’s ridiculous”

9 Likes

Yeah, I just tried to figure out the leadership structure of the IHF. It’s pretty male dominated right now, and I’m sure was even more so when these rules were put in place. Good on the team for drawing attention to these stupid rules.

24 Likes

Obviously it’s a huge competitive advantage if they’re not constantly picking sand out of a wedgie :roll_eyes:

37 Likes

My daughters played on their school volleyball team in middle and high school. They were not allowed to wear shorts to the length shown above; they had to wear the skimpy-nearly-bikini ‘shorts’ instead (age 11 to 18). And the girls and their V-ball friends would talk about how there were always men in the stands that none of them recognized as anyone’s parent.

I’m sure it’s all about the sport, yessiree Bob.

54 Likes

I went and confirmed what we all already knew: a man in this competition wears baggy shorts that completely obscure his gluteal sulcus

11 Likes

And be ashamed of themselves for it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/sport/olivia-breen-shorts-briefs-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

Also, pay attention to the measurement, asshole. What does it indicate about you that you can’t do your job without peeking at an athlete’s bits?

ETA: @yadayada beat me to it.

22 Likes

This is from a few years ago, but also on trend:

She wore the suit to help circulation because she’d had a tough pregnancy and was having issues with blood clots.

29 Likes

Textile companies are pulling their hair out right now. One with enough vision to poke their heads out of the mess they are in to see this marketing opportunity would be truly agile. They make this fabric out of oil and fossils which is not terribly in vogue these days.

5 Likes

I guess she didn’t realize that the outfit isn’t even about her needs at all. :roll_eyes:

/s

17 Likes

Beach volleyball in Norway? Are they usually in parkas or down vests??

Kidding aside, what a stupid, inane rule. Zero reason not to wear shorts when playing. It is what they wear in regular volleyball.

6 Likes

It’s just the back and forth in these sporting bodies. The rules require women wear revealing uniforms, but they can be penalized or docked points if things get too revealing for some.

Female gymnasts are required to wear legless leotards, but will be docked points by judges in most competition if they get a wedgy. Which is sort of unavoidable if you’re doing gymnastics in that kind of garment.

Most women’s Olympic sports seem to have similar dumb fuck conflicts on the subject. The wedgy problem seems to be common one, under rules against exposed butt cheeks. So it’s we require you to wear cloths that’ll show off that butt, but god forbid a quarter inch of it becomes clearly visible you aren’t getting that gold medal.

20 Likes

If the rules say Bikini Bottom, you have to oblige.

48 Likes