Norway women's beach handball team fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms

Their belly buttons are showing; therefore, they are wearing bikinis and the regulatory agency can go f**k themselves:

16 Likes

Same thing really. Whether they tell woman to wear shorter shorts when they don’t want to, or to wear longer shorts than they want to they are still policing something that is not their business.

I don’t care if that team performs stark naked, in full plate armour, or a burka as long as it is their free choice. Sports rules should only regulate anything that might give an unfair advantage.

19 Likes

That’s the pretense these misogynistic regulators use to rationalize what in actuality is an effort to control women’s bodies and restrict their bodily autonomy.

day

21 Likes

IHF/EHF statement: https://www.ihf.info/media-center/news/official-statement-beach-handball-and-clothing-regulations

The matter was already discussed at the EHF Congress in April 2021 upon a motion of the Norwegian Handball Federation.

See, it’s been handled!

The 50 EHF Member Federations including the Norwegian Handball Federation … decided that the newly elected Beach Handball Commission at their first meeting in August will deal with the topic and will table suggestions which subsequently can be presented to the International Handball Federation.

(We’ll just run it through the bureaucratic meat-grinder until everybody forgets about it)

As the IHF is the competent body for the worldwide valid regulations,

it has to be stated that

Oh, does it?

such a motion has to be addressed to the IHF Council due to formal reasons.

The Norwegian Handball Federation did not table any motion to the IHF since April 2021, therefore, the foreseen steps apply. The contact with the International Handball Federation has already been established and the further procedure laid down.

gasss

EHF President, Michael Wiederer and IHF President, Dr Hassan Moustafa agreed on the next steps and assure the beach handball community, and all its fans, that all efforts will be taken in order to further promote the sport. This includes the ideal presentation of the sport and, by that, includes the outfit of the players.

Sex sells, amirite?

15 Likes

As long as they apply the rule fairly, I’m alright with this.

31 Likes

Would I be wrong to assume male beach volleyball teams are mandated to wear budgie-smugglers?

14 Likes

I believe the approved term is Banana Hammocks.

18 Likes

Women just can’t win either way. SMDH.

4 Likes

Sometimes they don’t even bother.

The Olympics recently banned swim caps designed to get along with Black hair. Even though they determined they didn’t provide an unfair advantage, disadvantage wearers or have an impact on performance.

Their justification was that since no one uses them in competition, they aren’t needed. But few people use them in competition because so few organizations allow it.

20 Likes

Original IOC checking conformance of athletes’ uniforms.

13 Likes

What a bunch of sexist bullshit.

SSDD

17 Likes

Once again a bunch of men arguing over the precise amount of fabric that should be covering women’s bodies.

30 Likes

The rules actually state the sides of the bottoms can’t be longer than 10cm, not that they must be “bikinis”.

Either way, the rule is absurd, and a disgusting example of what happens when men get to decide on rules for women.

7 Likes

She shouldn’t have to justify her choice, or back it up with a note from her doctor.

14 Likes

That’s 4 inches, for people in the States without a ruler handy.

FOUR INCHES.

17 Likes

I’m as fond of toned women in bikinis as the next straight male but forcing women to wear bikinis to participate in sports of this sort is absurd, and cannot be called anything but sexist.

Are the men required to wear tiny Speedos?

Beach volleyball seems even worse as I keep wondering how the heck they keep those tiny scraps of cloth attached.

Let the women decide. Yeah, I know, that’s a silly proposal. Next they will want to vote and hold elected offices and initiate divorce proceedings and travel without a “sponsor”.

If they want to wear loose shorts and tank tops as a team, that’s fine.

Forcing women to display their bodies unwillingly and calling it a uniform is not justifiable.

23 Likes

We are in agreement.
What makes it extra offensive is that even though she could justify and back it up with a doctor’s note, they still fucking banned it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

17 Likes

4 inches. Yikes.
I wonder what their policy on visible pubic hair is…I mean, are men’s uniforms designed so that they’re forced to wax their private bits in order to be “presentable” in their work attire?

12 Likes

is handball to volleyball as football is to soccer?

Because just like americans have another kind of football, we have a handball thing you play against a wall.

2 Likes

It’s a nice enough sport to watch. It is like the opposite of football and with nicer people playing it.

You don’t want to stand in the line of fire of a determined handballer btw, these people throw * hard*

4 Likes