Internet rallies around javelina that are destroying "one of the most beautiful golf courses in the country"

Originally published at: Internet rallies around javelina that are destroying "one of the most beautiful golf courses in the country" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That'll Do Pig, That'll Do

35 Likes

We also get to hear the Javalina’s side of the story.

34 Likes

Isn’t AZ in a drought? How much water are these courses wasting to keep that grass so green?

40 Likes

By mass this is roughly equivalent to 30-50 feral hogs

30 Likes

This little piggy is doing the lord’s work.

27 Likes

I’d bet good money that most members of this private golf club have voiced some variation of the “government isn’t the solution, government is the problem!” line in response to government programs designed to help poor people.

27 Likes

We could bus them to Doral, Bedminster, and Trump National.

20 Likes
12 Likes

oh thank you for this! gonna post this, it’s so good!

7 Likes

Saw a CNN story saying that 30 golf courses in Utah together use about 9 million gallons a day, so that’s about 300,000 gallons/day per course. In a desert. I’ve also seen figures of 1800 households’ water for a 200 acre course. Since the course in question here has a little over 50 acres of turf that’s a mere 450 households’ worth of water.

I’d say that’s a lot.

I also saw the course managers are trying to negate the bad publicity by saying they aren’t using “public” water, just from their own wells. In the desert that isn’t a difference; it’s all coming from the same quite limited aquifers.

22 Likes

Javelinas? We loved javelinas.

About 30 years ago we were staying with a friend in a campground in Nogales on the Mexican border.

Me, my wife, and our 9 year old were wandering around some trails, our daughter was having a ball exploring.

“Don’t go too far ahead honey.” “Okay daddy.”

She got ahead around a bend in the trail, we heard a scream and then she comes running back with a javelina hot on her heels.

I regret not having phone cameras back then.

She was just telling that story last weekend as we were sitting around the fire.

12 Likes

Yes, this so much. Of all the things that could be built in a desert climate, a golf course is one of the worst ideas.

14 Likes

Build 'em a deluxe 200-acre buffet, then complain about them eating there. Got it.

19 Likes

Mr. Javelina, Mr. Bob Javelina.

8 Likes

Trying to turn an arid state like Arizona into a golf destination is only a tiny bit less obscene than Dubai trying to turn itself into a ski destination.

Like golfing on lush green courses? Then move somewhere that gets some fucking rain.

23 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2PjFWtzi3M

3 Likes

You are welcome. Who knew Javelinas were into the classics?

3 Likes

Unless it’s an “Oops all sandtraps!” course. C’mon you sissies, grab those wedges.

9 Likes

I’m on team piggie. Golf courses are an abomination in temperate and tropical climates. In a desert they should be banned outright.

Plus javelinas are adorbs.

Tiere Bis Unters Dach Running GIF by SWR Kindernetz

23 Likes