Interview: legendary Japanese director Mamoru Oshii

Originally published at: Interview: legendary Japanese director Mamoru Oshii | Boing Boing

2 Likes

GitS :heart:
Oshii :heart: but I have only ever watched GitS 1 and 2 from him. Am I missing out, or was GitS 1 his main deal? Not to understate it, it is a masterpiece without exception. 2 is decent and has some very memorable moments, but lacks the coherency and totality of the 1st.

Any thoughts on newest iteration SAC 2045? I haven’t watched it. Reviews look uninspiring and Netflix can get their grubby mitts away from my favorite things forever. I did enjoy Arise though, and I have come to realize that a huge part of that is the music by Cornelius.

1 Like

I think the first thing ever saw by him were episodes of the Wonderful Adventures of Nils (ニルスのふしぎな旅). Loved Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer and Mobile Police Patlabor.

3 Likes

He has a number of interesting and quirky movies, some of which are good but I don’t think necessarily any rise to the standard of Ghost in the Shell.

Patlabor and Patlabor 2 are sort of standardish anime movies, I liked them. Avalon is sort of an odd live action movie that was filmed in Poland/Polish as I recall. I’ve seen Sky Crawlers but I don’t remember it at all.

SAC 2045 has the worst animation style I’ve seen. Weird plasticy hair and early-2000s video game 3d rendering. I feel like it has to be an intentional choice. I watched it anyway and enjoyed it though. Note: there is the series and there is also a video that compresses (I think?) the events of the first season of the series into a movie.

3 Likes

Patlabor and Patlabor 2 have a strong anti-war message, but in a way that’s easy to gloss over if you don’t have at least a cursory understanding of post-war Japanese politics. The themes in Ghost in the Shell are definitely more readily relatable to a Western audience.

2 Likes

I should probably watch them again, it’s been decades

2 Likes

Ghost in the Shell was one of the first bits of anime that got me into the genre. I enjoy it more every time I see it. GITS:SAC was also pretty good. Haven’t watched it past that. Oshii is one of the greats.

1 Like

I got taken to a midnight showing of GitS around 1996 or so, never had heard of it, didn’t know anything about it. It really blew me away and seeing it for the first time on the big screen is something I feel really blessed to have seen.

3 Likes

That water fight scene still gives me goosebumps, as well as the climax with the tank. The ambiance in both of those scenes, after the violent battle.

As seen here.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.