Introducing BBS, our new forums

I agree. Massive enough of a step backward that I don’t see myself coming back all that often.

I understand from @beschizza’s reply that this is intentional, and obviously BB is free to run their site however they want… but I’ve got less-than-zero interest in trying to drill through multiple sites to get to the discussion.

5 Likes

You sound like my husband!

2 Likes

I wish you weren’t taking features away. Comments were a big part of the stories you post for a lot of your readers.

Care to tell us why?

5 Likes

I hope that you’ll post traffic analysis to show how having a commenting system detached from the article being discussed ultimately affects traffic.

1 Like

Interesting point. If ad revenue is affected to a large degree, perhaps they will bring it back?

Would you mind if I just looked at you?

5 Likes

Um, yeah. So. Apparently I don’t comment enough to have had my name reserved. Anyway, I don’t really get the process. I read the post, and to comment, I click on the speech bubble that loads a new page, then scroll to the bottom, then click on another button that loads another new page, scroll to the bottom, click on another button, and then write a reply? Oh, and log in somewhere along the line.

I don’t like to criticize the flavor of the free ice cream, but really, I’m not sure that broccoli-and-tuna is going to be such a popular flavor. What problem is this intended to solve?

5 Likes

I would also like to know what was wrong with the people commenting directly on the articles. I thought that was the best part of Boing Boing. It by far had the most interesting comment section of any site I followed. (Kudos to good moderation there!)

I might get used to this, but looking at the comments on the articles themselves knowing that they’re hand or algorithm picked makes things seem hollow and fake over there.

All that said, this is a pretty slick forum setup!

7 Likes

i hope that he’s also being facetious. :wink:

I think I’ll have to test it out some more, but so far it seems pretty nice. Good deal that it’s open source. I do wonder if the commenting off the page of the post itself will mean less people read the article before giving their $.02 (myself included!). And also, can we actually post stuff on the BBS? I’m kind of confused about that. You’ll have to forgive me, I’m studying for comps this summer. My brain is full of weighty historical debates (I don’t know Ignatiev, how DID the Irish become white?)… :slight_smile:

Overall, I’m interested in seeing how this works out!

Ah, I missed that. IRL, bodily cues, like a smirk and such, would’ve helped. Maybe if you’d ended your comment with an exclamation point! :slight_smile:

That’s hardly in the spirit of the thing, is it Rob?

Goodbye Disqus, hello Discourse. I’ve heard about this platform’s ability to stop trolls in their tracks and quench the shenanigans of flamers on CBC’s Spark. Good choice BB team. Nice design, stoked on the potential.

Below may be the first animated gif on the new BBS. Maybe not. Anyway, for now, just imagine the shark is Disqus.

8 Likes

What am I in this analogy?

That one’s insane.

Superfluous

I will explore the settings posthaste!

Whenever I middle click to open a link in a new tab I get a “Firefox prevented this site from opening a popup” error message. This only happens when click a link included in a comment/post (compost?), not when I click one of the “Suggested Topics” at the end of the page.

1 Like

and here i thought the polo shirt had smirk written all over it.

ah, well, they can’t all be gems.

1 Like

Yes, you can post new posts about whatever you like. Start a new topic!

Oh great… like I didn’t waste enough time on BB already.

4 Likes