Invent an awesome Reagan-era action show

You think you were crestfallen? It could have been worse! You could have seen Disney’s Condorman. I did, and to make it worse, I tried running around and got clotheslined in the neck by the speakers at the drive-in. Weee!

3 Likes

This would be a Reich Wing Loonies wet dream…

REALLY!

Sadly, you’re correct…

add G. Gordon Gordon to the mix, and i’m in!

4 Likes

… I want one with an aviation enthusiast who reconstructs early wood-and-canvas planes for sport, but ends up using these planes to save the world from

… uh … plotters intent on secretly raising the Tirpitz and using it to give Norway control over the North Sea Oil … ? … maybe just building the planes and flying them and not weighing this down with some kind of action-movie plot.

3 Likes

Seems like a fuel tanker truck would make an excellent hero vehicle.

In 80’s TV show fashion, they could reuse the same explosion at the end of every episode.

And when ratings fall, they could swap the fuel for milk to save herds of starving kittens.

11 Likes

… I suppose one with Project Orion would be a better fit though. “But isn’t the nuclear propulsion system dangerous?” “No. Trees put out more radiation than these good clean bombs.”

3 Likes

Hyperroller! With advanced tactical guidance systems and a hypersonic roller.

Hypersonic roller go!

8 Likes

Max Trident:

8 Likes

The show ChooChoo of Chaos was sort of like this, I mean on one hand freight trains are sort of big and manly on the other hand there’s not much variety in their daily routine.

2 Likes

Didn’t they call it a “war rig” in a recent-ish movie?

…also, the homemade tank brewed from a bulldozer and concrete and steel plates and used to unleash some well-deserved revenge on a town.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/heemeyer.html

7 Likes

Could I ask what the original source for this is? Usually Boing Boing articles include a source link, but this one doesn’t seem to.

1 Like

yes, it was…

And how have I not seen Killdozer…

I do remember being a kid when the film version of the Stephen King story, Maximum Overdrive came out, and my parents went to see it, and they thought it sucked…

1 Like

Hemi Trike anyone?

6 Likes

This looks kind of impressive, in an 80’s sort of way.

8 Likes

Available on VHS this October—in an alternate 1986 near you…

12 Likes

Apparently the military actually built a nuclear powered boring machine. Instant drama:

3 Likes

The “subterrene” could not easily use liquid lithium for heat transfer. The boiling point is too low. Lead, actually used as a coolant in some reactors, would work way better. Lithium-6 is also a pretty good neutron absorber, would have to be isotopically purified, as lithium-7 could then double-duty as a neutron moderator and heat transfer medium; this would make the reactor safer as leak of coolant would also stop the fission (though remaining fission product decay would still be a problem for a while).

Otherwise it looks like it could be a pretty sexy machine, and secretly I hope they actually exist.

2 Likes

From your link:

They have been building these 129 bases day and night, unceasingly, since the early 1940′s. Some of them were built even earlier than that. These bases are basically large cities underground connected by high-speed magneto-leviton trains that have speeds up to Mach 2. Several books have been written about this activity.

While that would be ultra-cool and I’m sure those books have been written, I remain somewhat skeptical.

4 Likes

I saw it once on late night TV back in the 80s in high school and that is about all I remember. Unless you are into bad movies it isn’t worth the time. If you do want to see it well click this and watch.

1 Like