Iron Fist

Yes, but again, secondary character. They didn’t make Thor Black. I doubt the fans would have accepted it.

It’s funny what things fans will accept and what they won’t. http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/07/thor-has-been-alien-space-horse-and-frog-woman-really-more-fantastical

6 Likes

My understanding is that Luke Cage and Iron Fist, Heros for Hire, were well loved by fans of LC. So there’s that.

It’s not like Iron Fist is worse than Batman. I will shut my whore mouth now.

3 Likes

Some were novel, but overall, these superhero shows are delivering a massive overdose of fight scenes which mostly end up with the same flavor.

Really, entire shows with the same flavor. Except for Luke Cage, which did a pretty admirable job of not depicting hardly any white people, let alone rich privileged ones. One wonders about what could have been if they created a hero story that was written for, and came from the Asian-American communities.

3 Likes

Which Asian American hero should they use?

Exactly

1 Like

So is this a critique that Asian Americans aren’t represented in comics or something else?

I’d happily watch more diverse shows. I would just prefer they be created as such as either new characters or existing ones rather than doing some kind of reverse whitewashing on an existing white character (which has usually been around for decades and has an as is established fan base).

Black Panther and Luke Cage are exceptions to this though both historically suffered from a bit of tokenism and were created by white male writers for a largely white male audience.

The problem with Iron Fist, in my opinion, is the show kind of sucks in general, not that it isn’t representative because they didn’t change Iron Fist’s ethnicity. Also, their treatment of women and minorities in the show is a bit meh.

Update: They should pull from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_superheroes and make a show. Hell, the current Hulk is an Asian American genius scientist kid. Maybe they could make a new Hulk show?

2 Likes

Agreed:

10 Likes

The Tibet question is motherfucker, though. Should they rewrite all the hackneyed love Hermann Hesse gave the interior of the nation to satisfy the PRC? I dunno. Making the ancient one a druid… Is it worse? Maybe they need to get all their characters back from Fox and Sony so they can stop going to the well. Now it’s down to rich people making deals versus making actual shows.

After the origin shitshows of love, The Defenders and the Illuminati should be fun to watch.

I’d rather watch Logan again.

3 Likes

The only real movie in the series? Fuck yes.

3 Likes

Just watched 3 and a half episodes and quit. It’s boring and every character is unlikable. The reason they made him white is because they expect that that way they don’t really have to prove he’s a good guy by having him do things like actually help people.

3 episodes and all we get is a whiny, entitled stalker who can’t do anything for anybody.

4 Likes

Its been real

That Part

Speak for yourself. I want and need diverse reimaginings of characters, in addition to new, diverse characters.

5 Likes

Do you really think that Nick Fury is a worse character for having been rebooted as a black man?

5 Likes

Hmmm you mean the same Nick Fury that can stand alone in his own story line. Or the black one they stick in cameos in movies to claim the movie is diverse lol. He is worse as a black man in this instance because they refuse to flesh out his story line and limit him to be a sidebar in the marvel univ. Maybe because they feel that non-white heros can’t carry a story or attract viewers. And if the main character is black (see Luke Cage and soon to be Black Panther) then the whole story has to be “black”.

Let’s try to not go too off topic here otherwise we will (rightly) get flagged (though I should probably spell out that I did pick up on the “shade” being thrown here, I’m just choosing to ignore it), but I would argue that we do, if Iron Fist must be a white guy, then maybe Iron Fist just isn’t relevant anymore and must be abandoned as you say. If instead we think of Iron Fist as a vehicle for telling a story that’s relevant for today, then we can absolutely change anything we want about the character in order to tell a story.

If Logan was a good movie, then this was a central component of that narrative, so it is actually a good example that we did in fact need a “Mexican wolverine girl child”, we just never knew it. Let’s not forget that there is ample precedence for changing up characters in order to tell a story in comic books, after all the “what if…” and “elseworlds” series have produces some memorable comic book stories.
Back on topic, Iron Fist the TV show is boring, if you must make it, then don’t make it boring. Trying to keep to the status quo clearly didn’t work, so we definitely need a different Iron Fist if we must have an Iron Fist at all.

5 Likes

Anyone else get the impression that Iron Fist was being set up by Marvel to be a bad guy?

Or at least, someone who blithely flirts with evil when it takes his fancy.

Mod note: stop with the personal attacks. Cheers.

5 Likes