Ironically, modern surveillance states are baffled by people who change countries

[Read the post]

4 Likes

I must be missing something. Canā€™t Scott/Cory just set up two Gmail accounts (scott-usa@gmail.com and scott-nl@gmail.com) and have one redirect to the other?

I understand the issue with Amazon purchases and Google Play movies, but surely the issue over banks and utility bills is surely just the same as if youā€™re moving into your own house for the first time? Up to the 1980s, in the UK, youā€™d have to go for an interview with a bank manager, get references from your boss, before theyā€™d give you a bank account and a credit line.

But if your relatives are refugees in a distant camp, losing your phone number can mean losing your family (possibly forever).

If your family still have their phone, you could text them the number of your new phone.

@doctorow Having moved to the UK, Iā€™m now running into the same issues - Three, Kindle, installing a UK bank mobile app (had to switch Google Play accounts). Thereā€™s also region locking in the Google Store which is rather annoying. Initially, I thought it was IP address based, but can confirm itā€™s tied to the account. Now when I need to purchase a US-based adapter, I need to switch to Account A, for UK-based, switch to Account B. I canā€™t imagine what refugees are going through.

1 Like

Yes! This! All of it! Iā€™ve managed to retain loose American regioning despite my country of residence (Italy for 9 years), but Google, Amazon, and Apple have no bloody clue how to deal with me. The proliferation of cloud services frequently makes things work as Iā€™m erratically flipped from English to Italian in available content, meaning that the only practical way of obtaining content is ā€¦ NVM.

Thanks for that work with the credit unions, BTW! Maybe mine will now have a clue that I use an Italian SIM in my iPhone. Doubt it, though.

Mostly I just stay parked firmly in the 20th century with the rest of my neighbors.

4 Likes

Umm, nothing in here thatā€™s actually about sureveillance states themselves. Itā€™s all about services. So the phrase ā€œsurveillance stateā€ looks like linkbait. Perhaps it can be corrected?

5 Likes

You seem to be lumping together data protection, financial security and technological communication issues with the genuine need to prove residency and entitlement all under the ominous sounding ā€˜Surveillance Stateā€™.

I donā€™t think youā€™d be happy with the currently proposed solution to data protection and financial security.

https://e-estonia.com/component/electronic-id-card/

1 Like

Then again if you had the right friends to smooth your way you wouldnā€™t need to queue with the plebs.

Iā€™m UK national resident in Switzerland with a Swiss business, with property and a business in France and property in Italy with associated utilities, internets and phones. Iā€™ve never had any particular problems other than with bank accounts.

Lesson 1: if you have a bank account in one country, never, ever close it, as a non-resident reopening is practically impossible these days although you get advised to go ā€œoffshoreā€ which is surely counterproductive.

Lesson 2: Amazon and Apple and presumably others donā€™t actually check your address entirely so when I (invariably) want to shop for Kindle books or English language films I use my Swiss address and credit card on Amazon and Apple UK stores BUT with someone elseā€™s UK postcode. That seems to baffle them.

I would say though that I am always irritated to be charged more to rent a film from a foreign (e.g.) Apple in original dubbing that costs more than the original film in its home country in the original language.

DRM shenanigans cause me more issues than surveillanceā€¦

2 Likes

Another troubling aspect of all this is the potential for fraud when operating your life remotely from overseas.

In this regard, it has always amazed me why a utility bill with an address is considered such a critical piece of the equation? Shortly after leaving the UK in the late '90s I was contacted by the metropolitan police regarding identity theft - someone had broken into my old apartment and stolen a gas bill, and used it to open an account in my name and then buy a car. I had to provide proof that I was not in the country when this transaction took place, and thankfully everything was resolved.

This is one reason I keep a UK bank account open with statements mailed to a UK address (thanks mom!). Despite not having used it in decades, it gives me a presence in the UK system, which I can use as a basis to build credit or other credibility if I ever go back.

1 Like

ā€œtry convincing the British not to charge you tax on the income you paid tax on in California!ā€
At least the UK charging you tax is a mistake, the other way round is not.
As far as I know the US is the only country that thinks you should pay income tax on money youā€™ve earned abroad, even if you live abroad. Donā€™t like it? Renounce your US citizenship.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s all very well and good, but what happens if Amazon find out youā€™re not a UK resident and just delete all your kindle books? Recently I had to ā€œproveā€ I was in the UK by (I kid you not!) faxing them a copy of my passport from a UK telephone number. Imagine if I really had been living abroad and didnā€™t know a single person in the UK with access to a fax machine.

So Iā€™ve decided to use Kobo-books for preference from now on, since they donā€™t seem to give a fart where you live just so long as they get their money.

1 Like

After moving to the UK getting a back account was difficult, especially when you donā€™t have utility bills because your living quarters are provided by your employer - with some banks and a letter from a employer it is possible, with other banks impossible.
For using ebay with my new UK Visa card I had to create a 2nd paypal account with a different email address.

And companies wonder why piracy is a thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.