Irvine PD's $150k public relations blunder

Originally published at: Irvine PD's $150k public relations blunder - Boing Boing

8 Likes

22 Likes

I grew up in Irvine. This tracks.

8 Likes

The “any attention is good attention” school of marketing.

8 Likes

The truck that is famous for being the vanity project of a man who constantly makes lame 420 jokes, smoked pot on a video stream just for the notoriety and reportedly uses ketamine, LSD, cocaine, mushrooms, and ecstasy? Yeah, that ought to keep the kids off drugs.

33 Likes

269e272a-9e30-48da-b92a-dc057c91e696_text

11 Likes

I mean, drugs pretty much had to be involved in the creation of that monstrosity

9 Likes

“The vehicle has an expected service life of 10 years.”

Whoever’s doing this estimating doesn’t understand a) Tesla’s build quality, and b) how well cops don’t take care of their vehicles.

12 Likes

I wonder how (counter-) productive those “DARE” programs actually are. They had all those “scared straight” programs going for many years and it turned out they actually did the opposite of what they were supposed to. (And cops continued doing them, long after the evidence came out.)

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if the anti-drug programs also did the opposite (I mean, are authority figures telling rebellious young people not to do drugs really going to have the intended effect?), and either the cops don’t know (or care to know, because US cops have little interest in evidence-based approaches to things), or they damned well know it doesn’t work but the whole “reaching out to kids” is such good PR for adults, in making the cops seem cuddly and worthy of more funding, that they keep doing it for that alone.

14 Likes

DARE is still a thing? Why? (I think @Shuck answers that perfectly, actually.) This is fine, I’m sure. Now they can waste money while they’re wasting time telling kids to not do drugs unless it’s alcohol or tobacco.

13 Likes

I don’t know about the current version of the program but when I was a kid I remember them describing Marijuana use as basically the same level of harm as using crack or heroin. So when kids of my generation got a bit older and learned that, hey, Marijuana isn’t actually all that risky, I can imagine that some people took that to mean that experimenting with harder drugs wasn’t such a big deal either.

11 Likes

No, DARE doesn’t work

Shockingly, what does work is honesty and information. Amazing, right?

15 Likes

Just a reminder:

ACAB

9 Likes

“These vehicles draw a crowd with custom graphics and features that pique the curiosity of car enthusiasts of all ages,” Kent said. “We have seen time and time again how engaging the community breaks down barriers and builds trust between the police and those that we serve.”

I don’t personally know any kids at the moment. Do most of them really think Cybertrucks are cool rather than shoddy pieces of garbage and proud badges of their owners’ willingness to financially support a fascist billionaire lunatic? I certainly hope that’s not the case.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s the second one.

5 Likes

“The whole point of this car seems to be for officers to show up in it and then tell kids about not taking drugs, and then drive away.”

It might could do that, at least once or twice.

3 Likes
  1. Using it for D.A.R.E. seems like the flimsiest of excuses to buy a Cybertruck.

2. I saw a video of it driving and they used the Terminator theme, which on it’s own I love, but a poor choice especially when Robocop was right there.

3. If it is used on patrol, given the fact cops like getting into high speed chases, often crashing, and the Cybertruck is hella hard to get out of when it is “dead” - this whole thing could just sort itself out…

6 Likes

The most technologically interesting thing about that refrigerator are the blue LEDs. Still cool to see them become a reality.

5 Likes

I remember reading in a science magazine that they had come up with a commercially viable blue LED and how it will allow new TVs and other lights. And look it - it did!

9 Likes

D.A.R.E. - “Drugs Are Really Excellent”.

Got in trouble for saying that at an assembly when they ask if anyone knew what it stood for.

9 Likes