Anaheim PD needs CyberTruck to help with community outreach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/17/anaheim-pd-needs-cybertruck-to-help-with-community-outreach.html

6 Likes

I can scarcely think of a clearer way for a police department to advertise that they are grossly overfunded.

35 Likes

Cut a few Cybertrucks’ worth out of their budget – and get rid of their dumb sergeant.

10 Likes

Reminds me of when I lived in Dallas, and the Highland Park Police thought they needed Mercedes patrol cars. Sheesh. :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

And, unfortunately, the current best-seller. :frowning:

8 Likes

For a community outreach maybe they should volunteer at a woman’s shelter. I mean except for the officers currently charged with sexual assault.

7 Likes

Are they the first? In all this time, no other agency got one? I find that surprising.

3 Likes

Today’s EV Trucks are too limited in capability compared to their ICE brethren to be serious for a wide swath of people. One group of people they do appeal to are those showing off money by what they drive. As the Ford and GM variants are difficult to tell apart from the ICE models, the feature of being really ugly may work here.

9 Likes

I guess if they get one we’ll be able to see how well they handle being flipped off. I’ve noticed that happens a lot to cybertruck drivers.

5 Likes

It should be noted that last time I was in Germany, a long time ago, the vast majority of taxis were large Mercs (E class, mostly, IIRC - albeit entry-level models) so perhaps the longevity and serviceability would stand them in good stead as police patrol cars.

But that’s not why the cops wanted them, is it, though.

7 Likes

If they really want community engagement they should buy a used Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

11 Likes

Or, considering that it’s where the Mouse House is located, something on-brand like the paddy wagon from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? The weasels were all about community engagement, amirite?

7 Likes

Plenty of police Benzes in Germany.

4 Likes

Help! PR! Some of the people think that we are useless ticks that suck up tax money to buy expensive toys! :exploding_head:

To assist in this image problem we propose buying this expensive toy…

7 Likes

How much of this is a dog whistle to Musk, indicating “keep up the good Nazi work!”

3 Likes

What type of engines do the feds use to patrol the boarder? I.C.E. I.C.E., baby?

4 Likes

To be fair, it wouldn’t be the most ridiculous-looking vehicle in their fleet.

6 Likes

From that photo, it seems the Anaheim Police calls this group the “Special Tactics Detail”. That would make the CyberTruck the newest “STDmobile” in town, I guess…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.