Is "Goblin Mode" really the Word of the Year, or are we being gaslighted?

I think I’ve heard “beast mode” more than I’ve heard goblin mode. Both terms seem phrases derived more from lolspeak than conversation.

3 Likes

let them fight fighting GIF

4 Likes

We need more discussion regarding going gnome mode. Getting to Gnome Mode - by Venkatesh Rao

5 Likes

I checked with my haberdasher and he, after careful review, advised me that ‘goblin mode’ was actually groovy, phat, and cool beans and expected that all the hip cats would be using it to stay tight. That tickled my funny bone and as I hopped in my jalopy to help my old lady get a new frock, I ruminated that these words being only temporary was pure twattle meant to fuzzle my noggin. Poppycock I say!

12 Likes

Life in Hell used to list the forbidden words for each new year, for example:

6 Likes

Goblin Mode is a phrase in decent circulation in my circles but we are also D&D nerds. Some of our interior decorating has also been described as goblincore.

Chaos goblin also gets thrown around alot and I don’t think that’s a general thing at all but we often talk about players going chaos goblin and there is a mid week game that I haven’t been in that frequently gets described as all chaos goblins.

Note: No one is actually playing a goblin in the game.

Edit: My partner just corrected me, someone was playing a goblin earlier in the mid week game, so that character was the original chaos goblin.

9 Likes

I prefer KDE mode, actually.

6 Likes

Goblin mode means playing like an Italian prog rock band making soundtracks for horror movies.

6 Likes

Giallo!

Dario Argento Horror GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

6 Likes

My favorite self-aknowledged Goblin creator/artistic person has a book about her Goblin desires:

Which is a archival collection of her long running blog at https://marianchurchland.com/

An example:

3 Likes

I saw recently someone complaining that people are misusing the word “gaslighting” to basically mean anything you don’t agree with… I haven’t observed that myself. But if that’s the case it kinda reminds me of how “fake news” had a real meaning at one point - when people were literally sharing news from parody websites thinking it was real, until trump came along and started saying it about anyone who criticized him…

6 Likes

Like most years, the first time I heard the word-of-the-year was in the articles about the word-of-the-year.

I’m just not with it enough to know the language of the yoof!

simpson abe GIF

7 Likes

I’ve seen the term used as an erroneous synonym for BSing. I don’t take too much issue with it since BS is an integral part of it. Still, having dealt with one malignant narcissist in my family life and another who occupied the White House for several years, I’ve seen enough gaslighting in action to know what it really means.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Like you, Soulcutter, and WedgeAntilles, I have never seen ‘goblin mode’ used anywhere. Were it really that poopular (not a typo), it would’ve shown up on tumblr.

1 Like

It was/is a TikTok thing, not sure if you can listen to this, the first and nearly the last time I heard of it.

3 Likes

Works fine for this Yankistani! Thanks :smiley:

3 Likes

Maybe I’m just getting desperately old and refusing to admit it; but this would be the first ‘word of the year’ that I’ve literally never heard prior to it being designated as one.

5 Likes

using “gaslighted” definitely makes me feel gaslit.

5 Likes

I was reminded of the post that went viral earlier, and I remember that, but never heard “goblin mode” in any other context.

1 Like