The Merriam-Webster dictionary's word of the year is...

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/the-merriam-webster-dictionary.html

4 Likes

I was hoping the word was “sphincter”.

8 Likes

The “they”, have always been a mysterious group.

21 Likes

That’s what they want you to think.

27 Likes

I cut out the gendered pronouns a while ago on the BBS (I still use them at work) and I feel great.

There’s this part of me deep down that was preparing to get into a fight meeting of minds with someone who was offended that I didn’t specify their gender with a pronoun, but that has never happened (probably because this isn’t a Jordan Peterson fan board).

19 Likes

Will it never end? Asking for a friend…

6 Likes

That’s what they say.

10 Likes

I put that in the que for that very purpose, may the Gods smile on you today.

8 Likes

28 Likes

This is stupid.

Said they.

2 Likes

There’s still time to make “defenestration” the word of the year. Quick, somebody throw Donald Trump out a window.

11 Likes

You’ll summon them.

14 Likes

" The Merriam-Webster dictionary’s word of the year is…"

…spelled incorrectly?

(a poor global English spelling variations joke there)

Did someone speak my name?

BWAHA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Prepare to be Gish galloped as you have never been Gish galloped before!!!

9 Likes

If the JD fanboys come along, then I’ll tell them that I have a selection of far less polite alternatives. Or I’ll call them what they want, just as long as they do the same for everyone else.

5 Likes

I’m thinking about them right now!

5 Likes

It is extremely tempting to always refer to Peterson as “she” but I realize that people would take that as defamation of women rather than commentary on how absurd it is to willfully misgender someone, so I refrain.

10 Likes

I must:

Now seriously, I’m more than okay with this.

I’ve personally been using using “they” as a singular pronoun for ages, anyway.

9 Likes

As long as nobody posts a Limp Bizkit “he said, she said, bullshit” gif then no worries.

3 Likes

If they do, they shall be shunned; that ‘band’ is the epitome of not “being cool.”

4 Likes