Is "Goblin Mode" really the Word of the Year, or are we being gaslighted?

I take comfort in considering what was ‘it’ weird, scary, shallow and stupid AF when I was young. I quit listening to pop radio after jr high, same w/rock radio in high school. My, um, peers thought me suspicious b/c I was never into the stones nor led zep. tophat-shrug

ETA:

I’d never even heard of that post until today.

3 Likes

Just a note, I remember LARPING a goblin once and it was hella fun.

3 Likes

Look, just because words traditionally don’t have spaces in the middle of them doesn’t make goblin mode not a word.

Now, hyphens are some bullshit…

3 Likes

Ha, the same day I posted in this thread my other partner came over around dinner.

I complained that I had failed to wash my hair yet again and he said it’s ok he didn’t make it to campus again “We can just both be in permanent goblin mode.”

I was amused after hearing so many people hadn’t run into the phrase in the wild yet. We are definitely among those nerds responsible for it.

6 Likes

Unlike previous winners of word of the year, which were chosen based on recent language-data analysis, this year’s word was picked by public vote. Oxford Languages selected three contenders for 2022, each meant to reflect “the ethos, mood, or preoccupations of the past twelve months.” Those words were metaverse; #IStandWith, which gained popularity as a way for people to express support for Ukraine; and goblin mode . With 93 percent of the public vote, goblin mode was the clear winner. The people’s word of the year, if you will.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.