'Single-use' edges out 'VAR,' 'floss,' 'gammon,' and 'plogging' as this dictionary's word of the year

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/08/single-use-edges-out-var.html

2 Likes

single-use: That’s what I use to refer to my youngster dating years, prior to my Dear Wife. Now she refers to our marriage years as the “date that never ends”, gosh she’s a keeper.

17 Likes

I have not seen any of these words on BoingBoing. This place is really turning into the retirement home of the internet.

7 Likes

The “date that never ends”? So is that years and years of awkward silences; or is that just me.

10 Likes

@euansmith : Hang in there…

Roger That!

2 Likes

By Jove! Time to whip out my          

https://singleusemonocles.com
16 Likes

I always use my single-use VAR when gammon plogging… I don’t dance however.

5 Likes

Um… “single-use” is a word?

4 Likes

This feels like you’re challenging me to write about VARs, flossing, gammons, and the plogging community. Am I reading that correctly? :wink:

6 Likes

How is there not a link on Boing Boing about Plogging? I was sure I’d read about it here, but maybe it was the BBC instead.

Floss is definitely an age thing, though.

2 Likes

I think it has more to do with Collins Dictionary being Glasgow-based, and Boing Boing being (as far as I know) non-Glasgow-based. Maybe to a Glaswegian these terms would be more familiar.

7 Likes

So is the WOTY an ordinary word denoting a good thing, a good word denoting a bad thing, a word that has lost its meaning from overuse, or what?

1 Like

Yes!

Wait, no. Well, if they’re interesting?

EDIT: Aha, we have a Glasweigan shortage. I wonder if that’s good or bad?

3 Likes

I thought VAR was value-added reseller? Oh man, I was SO doing that job wrong…

7 Likes

No idea why Rusty mentioned where Collins happens to be based; they’re one of the main dictionary-producers in the UK, not just serving Glasgow, nor solely Scotland.

3 Likes

"Single-use?’

Hm, I guess I’ve got one of those.

1 Like

In the USA single-use packaging was until recently touted as something good and useful despite many decades of anti-littering, anti-waste campaigning.

And VAR is probably one of the best things to happen to the game in a long time. It rules out all those dubiously awarded goals and penalties and red cards which make you shout “Oy! Fuck all, that was a red card!”, but without interrupting the flow of the game like in American football.

2 Likes

I’d imagine that this first post thing that you have going doesn’t stop at the end of the bulletin board.

She sounds like a saint.

1 Like

This place is really turning into the retirement home of the internet.

9 Likes

Which is why it’s so strange that glassweegin’* wasn’t even on the shortlist…

*The sudden, almost narcotic euphoria experienced after cleaning a long overdue car windshield.

3 Likes