Is Marjorie Taylor Greene suggesting Civil War in new poll?

The question isn’t whether MGT wants the US to end up like Ireland, Cyprus, India and Palestine (Narrator: she does); it’s who wants to keep you busy.

17 Likes

I think I first heard of this podcast on an earlier BBS thread. Thanks to whoever showed me.

4 Likes
7 Likes

None of which involved relocating entire peoples.

10 Likes

Damn, Sherman burned the South before he burned the South!

11 Likes

You don’t ignore fascists. We’ve been ignoring white supremacists for years now, and then we got one as president. This is the result of “ignoring them.” We ignore them at our peril.

Another example…

@GagHalfrunt those are indeed examples of peaceful partitions where there was strong support for that and where neither was planning to become a white ethno-state. So while valid examples of peace partitions, the situation here is not the same.

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

18 Likes

The wingnut welfare lecture circuit

2 Likes

But both of those corporations are certainly in the press.

fuck them and their “freedoms”

5 Likes

The right has been talking about a new civil war roughly since Reagan took office and the rise of Gingrich and his bunch. Back then, it was just murmurs passed between a lot of outlier groups. Self-styled militias, white-supremacists, survivalists, and the like. Then, talk radio rose-up and gave nationwide voice to these ideas. Then, the internet, and its power to amplify and connect these voices, gained a foothold in our culture.

Fast-forward to today, and we’re now in the middle of the logical endgame of over 40 years of the constant drumbeat/indoctrination of division and hate. Yes, MTG is talking about civil war. And, that an elected US representative is so openly talking about it should scare the shit out of everyone. Yes, she’s easily dismissed as a nut. But so were the good ol’ militia boys back in the 80’s when they were stockpiling weapons and playing soldier out in the forests, seriously claiming they were prepping for the coming war.

This is not going to end well for anyone.

1 Like

…or talk to any vet. A great many men charge off to war excited for the adventure and manly challenge of it all. Nobody comes back that way.

People come back forever broken. Maybe people like MtG should think about why.

16 Likes

That too! At least those who saw actual combat…

11 Likes

We can deal with Meal Team 6 and the Gravy Seals. Its not like we as a nation haven’t dealt with armed right wing terrorists before. If they want to shoot their mouths off, its a free country. We are free to meet them with condemnation. If they want to get shot, so be it.

Also the one’s calling for one are far less popular than they let on. Its telling that Republican controlled states have to heavily gerrymander and engage in vote suppression to stay in power.

1 Like

“Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene seems to think it’s a great idea to break up the country into red and blue states, without realizing that her own state just went blue in the last election.” -Newshound Ellen/Crooksandliars

11 Likes

Well, no. That’s part of the problem. We haven’t. We ignore the underground networks of white supremacist groups that criss cross the planet, and which has allowed them to grow and expand these part 40 or so years. If we had treated events like the OKC bombing as a part of a larger terrorist threat, we would be far ahead of this. But we didn’t. We put McVeigh and Nichols in jail, executed McVeigh, and I believe we prosecuted the two people who helped them, but we did not go after the right wing underground that fed conspiracy theories into McVeigh’s head. None of those groups should have existed after OKC. None of them. But they do, because we treat white supremacists as “lone wolf” situations, while harassing Black activist groups and Muslims.

So, we should very much treat white supremacist groups like the threat they are… since they have done far more damage to the public than radicalized muslims ever did.

23 Likes

No problem with that at all.

4 Likes

Well, yes… because it’s true. While 9/11 was the single biggest terrorist attack on American soil, White supremacists have committed far more acts of violence in US history.

12 Likes

Well thanks for some good examples. Though IIRC the first two were just redrawing lines that past wars had drawn. But in the case of the Czech and the Slovaks, they seem to be cool with each other.

The decolonizations, IMO, are not a great example when you look at the Middle East and Pakistan/India, as so many lines were arbitrarily drawn on a map and has lead to internal and neighborly conflict every sense.

So thanks for at least pointing out some examples.

Thanks to you too. I agree Scotts breaking away would probably be peaceful too. Though it would weaken the UK as a whole.

Europe has long had cultural regions carved, gobbled into empires, and then split back apart later. These peoples had both language and shared culture as an identifier. And those people don’t always identify with their birth country. Like my former mother in law is Polish, even though she was technically born in Belarus.

So I am not sure we can really draw such cultural lines like that in the US, however.

@GagHalfrunt Thanks for your examples too.

3 Likes

I think the main thing to take away from any comparison is that the USA is not these other countries. The civic nationalism of the world’s various autonomist and regionalist movements is not comparable to the neo-confederate impulses of the lost cause, and attempts to draw any parallels are guaranteed to mislead.

11 Likes

yeah. this ^

as much as the right is stoking hatred in its base for votes and cash dollars, things like banning abortions, banning access to bathrooms, banning coronavirus protections - they’re designed to steal energy and focus from progressive change.

people are forced to fight against rolling backwards rather than fighting for rolling forwards

that’s why i do wish someone more progressive was in office than biden. in situations like this: when you fight only to get back sorta where you were, you’re going to lose ground overall.

wasn’t it madonna who said “coronavirus is the great equalizer” but of course it’s not. it affects marginalized groups the worst and wealthy folks the least. just like all crises

fortunately, it also showed preppers aren’t prepped for more than a week without access to a well stocked grocery store. if you aren’t living off grid today, you aren’t living off grid tomorrow when [insert current name of bibical end of the world nuttery here] happens either

16 Likes