Is this a real pterodactyl flying over Idaho?

People on the internet will believe anything. If you’d paid attention in school you’d know we hunted the pterodactyl to extinction in the late 1800’s.

21 Likes

There used to be great flocks of them, covering the sky from horizon to horizon.

Not a time to go outdoors.

Made for some good eating, I heard tell, if your standards were low.

3 Likes

Maybe pterodactyls came back to life. Or maybe Paul MacCready did ;]

www.nytimes.com/1986/01/28/science/with-wings-flapping-model-pterodactyl-takes-to-air.html

1 Like

Couple more links:

https://books.google.com/books?id=1IqBydvMRZcC&pg=PA78

1 Like

Ceci n’est pas un pterodactyl.

4 Likes

Oh Idaho, never, never, change.

4 Likes
  1. Weird angle shot of a bird with something in its mouth.
  2. CGI silliness.
  3. Really cool RC aircraft.

I suspect the cameraman was in cahoots as well.

1 Like
4 Likes

Can’t said I’ve had lizard meat, but alligator tail is damn tasty.

I do wonder from time to time what those ancient reptiles would have tasted like. The later theropods might have tasted something like chicken, maybe. Probably more like some kind of big carnivorous bird though. Like eagle or condor.

1 Like

Rattlesnake is lovely when cooked right.

Same for most of the other uncommon meats I’ve had.

2 Likes

My experience with (farmed) crocodile has been it depends on what they’re fed - chicken-fed ones taste like chicken while fish-fed ones taste like fish.

3 Likes

Yeah, the alligator tail I’ve had always tastes like chicken that’s been marinated in sour apple. I really like it. Sour chicken.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s interesting. Now I want to sample bear, moose, elk, antelope, bison, etc. that were raised on different diets.

3 Likes

I know for a fact that bear meat from a bear that’s been eating garbage tastes like garbage. Bear that’s been eating a ton of huckleberries and blueberries is really good. And bear that’s been eating mostly roadkill tastes pretty foul.

I have cousins in Idaho that manage to get a bear tag every year. I don’t know how. But yeah, bear meat varies wildly and is heavily dependent on what it’s been eating.

3 Likes

The bear I had was Wisconsinite, and in the wild eating normal bear stuff. It was ground, and it was kinda like a gamey-but-more-spicy-than-gamey ground beef.

ETA - Not spicy-hot, exactly, but there was a flavor there that I haven’t had since.

3 Likes

I’d assumed it’s a reptile thing but I could be wrong - it might be a carnivore thing.

You certainly see the difference in beef when it’s been grass and grain fed, although that’s more about fat distribution than flesh-flavour.

1 Like

Yeah, the cousins always fedex over a big box of bear sausages. When it’s good, it’s really freaking good. Pretty greasy, very gamey, but totally hits the spot. I can see why we hunted them so much early on.

But when it’s bad, has been eating mostly garbage and/or carrion instead of plants, it’s very gross, to the point of inedible. It’s like trying to choke down a full diaper.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s a carnivore thing.

1 Like

Wow, that’s culinary imagery I could have done without!

2 Likes