Pterosaurs: Winged, awesome, and surprisingly rare

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Maybe they had hollow bones like birds? Hollow bones are probably a lot harder to fossilize.

Met a real nice guy via fark who showed me around a dinosaur museum in Denver. He had found several new species of Pteranodons and large fish in Western Kansas. Really neat stuff.

Those are some freakishly large and scary winged creatures.

A man was throwing 3-4 inch sized baguettes pieces from a bag several loafs, onto the lawn of a Protestant Church. The Church lawnkeeper remarked on passing by, “Are those for the Pterodactyls?”

1 Like

You had me at flying monkeyduck.

2 Likes

Here’s some context for Quetzalcoatlus northropi:

4 Likes

Quetzalcoatlus?

3 Likes

Those wings look way too small for that body. Also, is that a beret? The first proto-hipster?

4 Likes

Finally! My favorite topic of all time…excepting perhaps prehistoric oceanic giant reptiles.

So I’ll just leave this here:

(And while I seem to remember g and h are extrapolated from one damn bone someone found (and lost) 100 years ago…I want to believe!)

5 Likes

Flying Monkeyduck? Too bad punk is dead because that’s a great name for a band.

“A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil…”

4 Likes

Think of them as a collapsable umbrella from hell.

1 Like

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH!!!

2 Likes

ALL umbrellas are demonic. All of them.

Quetzalcoatlus needs to avoid Danish zoos at all costs.

1 Like

Only if we need to free space to bring in another quetzelcoatlus with more genetic diversity, and there are hungry tyrannosaurs to feed.

1 Like

I’m having plenty of trouble believing in (f)…

Even if punk were dead, that name has the power to resurrect.

I like the dude who clearly thinks he’s taking it for walkies though.

1 Like