Is this color blue?

… similarly to English with orange things like hair and fire still being called “red” :thinking:

5 Likes

We just selected colors for exterior house painting a couple days ago, so yeah this is torture.

2 Likes

Your boundary is at hue 171, greener than 72% of the population. For you, turquoise is blue.

Meh…

1 Like

As someone who used to own a lot of turquoise jewelry, the actual range of the stone goes from everyone-sees-this-as-blue to everyone-sees-this-as-green. I assume every paint/crayon/etc. that calls itself ‘turquoise’ is probably a different shade along that continuum, so the name itself isn’t useful at all to me.

8 Likes

Interesting exercise in the variability of human perception. More evidence that we don’t actually all experience the world the same way. That said, I have an issue with “for you, turquoise is X” part, because that’s a matter of semantics and word definition. In my mind, from a language perspective, turquoise is a shade of blue, regardless of what color I’m actually looking at. Similarly, teal is a shade of green. But that’s likely more of the same variable life experience coming into play.

2 Likes

This has been an issue between me and my kid. I tend to categorize more green and the kid more blue. Like mint green is green! But to the kid it is blue. I’ve decided all the ones in the middle over which we disagree are now blue-green unless I know the appropriate name for that color. Mint green can be blue for her, but it is still called mint green and if she wants other people to understand the color she’s talking about, she needs to use the name mint green

3 Likes

It seems we would all describe turquoise [the colour] as a different hue, and that turquoise [the stone] is no help at all :grin:

6 Likes

Oh no, more boundary disputes.

3 Likes

Turquoise.

:wink:

8 Likes

We call it “seaglass” so it stays in the neutral zone. :joy:

8 Likes

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

1 Like

Either robin’s egg blue or seafoam green. Take your pick!

Lovely color, BTW.

4 Likes

9a2f9566-b1f1-4a03-b501-32fbdd7df9ce_text

4 Likes

Ummm… “Yes”?

7 Likes

I am not surprised mine is further to the left than most, but I suspect it is a bit too far to the left, given my monitor and lighting.

So what label do you give to ‘bluish-green’, out of interest?

Agreed. The first sentence especially.

Looks like my boundary is at hue 171!

8 Likes

Isnt this really a test of nomenclature rather than what we see? 171.

4 Likes

22wge1

14 Likes