Isis Adventure: Worst. Puzzle. Ever

Did you get paid or not?
You got $1500 +travel and expenses(which is actually uncommon) As for anything else, that would have to definitely be in writing, and would only apply if it profited.
You were contracted to do a thing, and you did the thing, and were paid. That’s pretty much the end of the business relationship. Everything you did, intellectual property, anything, is theirs. That was the deal, and it is a completely normal deal, and you agreed to it.
It’s business 101, someone want’s to make some puzzle, or game, he hires some talented designers/coders, tries to pay them as little as he can. You get the job and are ok with the arrangement. You finish your work (it could be the best stuff you ever did) and your contract is complete, bye. That’s it. You can’t come back and demand more, or say it’s yours, because it’s not. You didn’t give it to them, they didn’t steal it from you, they needed your talents and paid you for your work, and the fruits of your labor are completely theirs.

[quote=“drew_millecchia, post:43, topic:61052”]
I’m not sure what all the ‘personal information’ you would be giving out? Name, Address, Email? Not really that personal, pretty sure they aren’t asking for SSN or children’s and pet’s names.[/quote]That’s explained in the article, isn’t it?[quote]They need this information to send you the manual (yes, it does seem that you need an up to date one, since the internal mazes change)
[/quote]But surely the internal mazes don’t change for one specific unit.

1 Like

There are SEVERAL posts in this thread, including the one you’re replying to, that flat-out say the company doesn’t pay people what they promise they will. Several.

And yet you have this “Well that’s business, it’s your fault” attitude. Thank god outright thieving companies have you to defend them.

3 Likes

No, there aren’t, he said specifically he was paid $1500.

From that one post. He specifically said he was promised royalties and didn’t receive them, and that other people who worked for the company didn’t get paid. Reading is hard, I guess, compared to trying to act superior to other people and lecturing them on how they don’t deserve to get paid for work they’ve done.

4 Likes

It is explained:
"why do they require me to provide my mailing address and my phone number and my name? Why is my email address not enough to keep me up to date? "

Sorry, a bit thin to call someone a ‘bait-and-switch’ shill trying to ‘extort’ personal information.
And if someone has a published privacy policy that states they don’t give the info out, and has many options to ‘opt out’… actually you have to ‘opt in’ for them. Sure, you don’t have to believe them.

I read the original blog post and comments on Ron Garret’s blog, they sound very disgruntled and conspiratorial, but, it is the Internet, so it must be true. At least have to fit into the Corperation==Bad worldview.
The thing is, it’s not a huge corporation, it’s some guy trying to sell really expensive puzzles. With a very small market to start with, and obviously not doing very well. Where are all these magic ‘royalties’ coming from? If the guy who wants royalties was willing to risk an actual financial investment, he might get the reward. Fortunately for him, he didn’t, he got paid, as far as he tells, the actual investors lost money.

Note the part to which I was replying. The fact that names, addresses and mail addresses are not inherently particularly sensitive is irrelevant. The interesting thing about such lists is always by which criteria they were compiled. Of you can argue that that’s fair game, but don’t pretend that it is because of the fields in the database. It makes you look disingenious.

1 Like

Aren’t those riddles usually solved interactively by asking decision questions? I agree that it would be more impressive if they had unique solutions that could be guessed right away, but in that format it still makes sense as a semi-cooperative experience.

There is a podcast containing those things somewhere around here.

You misread, I didn’t get paid my expenses as I was promised I only got paid $1500 for 8 months full time work, that was not my contract. And I’d love to see anyone else live on that. It was not what I agreed to. They essentially paid me for about 10 days out of the 8 months. I didn’t come back later making more demands, this was all what I was promised up front including royalties. I think you totally misunderstood what I said. This wasn’t a case of me demanding more it was about me not getting paid for the work I did, I only managed to get $1500 out of them for working more than half a year! You really think I would have agreed to a contract with that? Social security would have been much more.

4 Likes

I didn’t get paid what was agreed. I got paid for 10 days out of 8 months and was promised royalties to make up for it. So either you pay for the work or pay royalties as promised. Damn right there are disgruntled people.
This is not anti-corporation, I have my own company now and am not even in the same industry. I am fully aware of how contracting and business is conducted as I’m pretty successful now. This is something that happened to me back in 2006. And how they acted is not a good way to do business and by all accounts from what former employees tell me it’s still happening just under a new company.

1 Like

Futility Closet. These little mysteries are quite entertaining to listen to and guess along. But they’re not riddles in the classic sense because the objective is to understand the situation with the smallest number of yes/no type questions, not to figure it out outright.

1 Like

That would probably make more sense. The way I always heard it as a kid was just the story about the sailor walking into the restaurant, ordering albatross, and then becoming distressed upon tasting it. That’s all the info that was given, and “no hints”, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the kids who were telling it didn’t know how it was supposed to work. It was more “omg this is the hardest riddle ever!”

1 Like

Got $1500, did not get travel, did not get expenses. Did not get contracted royalties, did not get contracted pay.

Do you have a reading deficiency? Please inform us upfront so we don’t mock a disability, as opposed to mocking a disingenuous shilling idiot.

3 Likes

Then you were absolutely taken advantage of. If you have an actual contract you can and should sue. In America we have a legal method called a ‘Mechanic’s Lien’ (or laborer, or artisan lien) where you can place a lien (take possession of) the person’s property. This mean the company, even house. If they don’t pay you are entitled to the amount of property of what they owe.
Legal crap is always a pain. But if you were only paid for 10 days at that rate he owes you something $190,000! That’s definitely not a small claims suit, it could even be a criminal case. Get a lawyer.

1 Like

Company no longer exists and it’s much more difficult in UK, I know because at least 2 people tried to sue, unsuccessfully (and they were owed much more than me) and it really made their lives worse. Until this blog post I’d pretty much chalked it up to naivity and experience and move on. And it’s now beyond our own “statute of limitation” anyway. My best path is simply to put my efforts into being a success on my own.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.