Islamic State Claims Deadly Assault on Russian Music Venue: 40 Dead

Some people might point out that these things always seem to happen when Putin needs to rally his Russian support and distract from another farcical election. Those people often end up with Polonium poisoning.

10 Likes

A beloved goddess asks:

Please call those evil groups i.s., or isil, or best of all, daesh.

To hell with all terrorists, and the so-called ‘thought’ behind them.

17 Likes

Sekhmet, on the other hand…

4 Likes

Presumably it is only a co-incidence that this atrocity occurred just after Russia vetoed the UN Security Council resolution for a ceasefire in Gaza.

10 Likes

A new age shop in Denver had to change their name from Isis to Goddess because they were being targeted by hate crimes and having rocks thrown through their windows. I know Americans can be dumb, but we’re not THAT dumb, there’s no way anyone thought that place was some kind of ISIS recruitment center, or somehow supporting the terrorist organization in any way (it had been there for many years already, and had a picture of her right on the sign). People just wanted an excuse to be hateful and violent, and they took it, no matter how flimsy. Referring to the terrorist group as you suggest at least denies them that excuse.

8 Likes

Isis is the name given to the River Thames where it flows through Oxford. There are all kinds of businesses and organisations in the area with Isis in their name.

It’s a co-option of an existing word or symbol into something it never meant. Like happened to the swastika.

7 Likes

true-shorty

…but thank Ra for beer!

Unlike some people, Sekhmet abandons her warring ways for beer!

9 Likes

That is simply beyond fuckery :sob:

Isis was universally worshiped throughout the Roman empire. There was a temple of Isis in London.

Mary was her obvious successor/replacement.

6 Likes

Yes. Shit like this takes time to prepare, and there have been indications that something was about to go down for over a month in advance.

10 Likes

Do we know what the concert was? How can Daesh be so certain that everyone there was Christian?

EDIT:
Every reply to this post is from people who think I am ignorant about what ISIS is about. C’mon BoingBoing, you can do better than this.

Putinist Russia defines itself as an Orthodox Christian ethno-state.

I’m sure there are dissenters and non-Christians among the Russian population, but Daesh wouldn’t care. Islamist attackers in the UK have ignored the fact that there are millions of muslims in our population.

8 Likes

Do you know what my one tattoo is of?

1 Like

I fully expected because the attempted invasion of Ukraine has weakened Russia overall. Less control on the borders, all sorts of security types redirected to the front, and lots of angry ethnic minorities who lost a brother, a father, a good friend in a senseless war. Moscow is reviled by a huge chunk of Russia, but those who hate it, hate in a “it’s too far away so there’s nothing we can do” mentality.

Well, most of them, as we now have seen. The “burn it all down, I got nothing left to lose” faction may be small, but it’s getting bolder now that Putin was distracted for so long.

10 Likes

Our enemies will not divide us - Putin

The Russian president calls the attack on the concert hall a “barbaric terrorist act”.

“Our enemies will not divide us,” he also says.

Putin’s just finished his speech now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-68642036

This seems convenient…

2 Likes

The phrase “large gathering of Christians” comes from the Islamic State statement.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Isis? Sekhmet?

1 Like

"Sure, Vlad, we’ll do that. First you need to read this on national TV: “I wish to apologise to the USA for accusing them of outright blackmail 10 days ago when they warned about a possible event like this. I was wrong. They were right. Their intelligence is better than Russia’s. They are now sharing it with us to help us secure our citizens’ security as we clearly cannot do it ourselves.” Let us know when it’s going to be on, so we can tune in."

8 Likes

There are people that dumb, everywhere.

4 Likes
1 Like