Isometric city-making toy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/27/isometric-city-making-toy.html

1 Like

5 Likes

Not sure if it’s already been covered here on BoingBoing, but if you are into this kind of thing (toy? game? urban planning tool?), Townscaper seems to be king right now…

6 Likes

If you say so, but a Soviet nuclear power plant wouldn’t have a Western-style hyperboloid cooling tower, and a nuclear power plant anywhere else would have a containment dome. So it looks to me like you’ve just made a nicer version of Didcot, Oxfordshire and its coal-fired power station.

(I’m saying people confuse cooling towers with nuclear power plants, and in a way, isn’t that the real danger?)

6 Likes

Yeah, he posted that a while back. I’m assuming this post is to mollify people like me who flew into a rage because it only runs on Windows

2 Likes

Townscaper runs on macOS as well! Oskar (the developer) has at least mentioned a Linux version in the past, but I suspect he’s more interested in continuing to improve it.

3 Likes

Oh. Well, good! I guess that’s either changed, or there was some other reason I couldn’t download it before.

2 Likes

While you are right that they weren’t using cooling towers at the time, two towers were under construction when disaster happened:

The shape is a bit different, but good enough IMO :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been hearing about that and I’m looking forward to see where they go with it. It’s a really neat toy at this point.

Say what you will about early Soviet reactor designs - they had rhythm!

3 Likes

:rofl:
That’s seriously dark

1 Like

Perevozchenko looks down on the enormous steel lid of the reactor and sees the impossible. The control rod and fuel channel caps, which each weigh 350 kilograms, are jumping up and down. It is time to get more on the dance floor.

4 Likes

I laughed out loud. I am a bad person.

2 Likes

Sim City 2000 is only $6 on GOG and because it’s running in a DOSbox emulator it runs on Windows and Mac (and Linux, if you edit the configs into your own DOSbox)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.