Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

4 Likes

I don’t quite understand what that story and its framing actually mean. They were murdered by Hamas 6+ months ago. They are not and never were “hostages”, whom the Israeli government have never actually cared about. And have killed many of.

7 Likes

They were believed to be alive and counted as hostages.

3 Likes

I don’t know about the other two, but they’d already established that Shani Louk was likely killed on Oct. 7th during the attacks.

I did hear an interview with her father today on the BBC News hour, and he said that he now doesn’t believe that Israelis can live side-by-side with Palestinians if they had their own state… I wonder how many people have been so impacted by Oct. 7th… :sob:

5 Likes
2 Likes

It wants Palestinians to go away, in whatever ways that takes, so Israel can take all of their land, no? :person_shrugging:

9 Likes

That’s certainly what Bibi and his far right government want (and their hardcore supporters)… But I’m not sure it’s what all Israelis want, though, not to mention all Jews.

Levy really does a good job unpacking the various discourses happening among Jews about what’s happening right now and where to go in the future… they mention this article he wrote…

He also gets a bit into some of the failures of Oslo, which the failure of which helped lay the groundwork for the current conflict.

First things first, the Israeli public needs to make different political choices, because voting for violence has wrought more violence…

3 Likes

Of course not, and that’s not what the question says. It says “Israel,” which I read as the state and its policies. Which I in turn read as trending overall toward the elimination of Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank, and the taking over of their land. The “settlements,” for example, have been gradually effecting that takeover for a long time. YMMV, of course.

8 Likes
1 Like

I think there is a German word for what Israel wants.

5 Likes
3 Likes

UN:

Relief agency UNRWA targeted politically over partiality claims, funding must resume: UN experts

1 Like
5 Likes

Sometimes the NYT still publishes real journalism:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Of course by that she means ALL Palestinians, so she can fuck off.

10 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes