Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Biden calls ICC decision ‘outrageous’
We’re now hearing from US President Joe Biden, who calls the International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor’s application for arrest warrants against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Yoav Gallant “outrageous”.

Here’s Biden’s statement in full:

The ICC prosecutor’s application for arrest warrants against Israeli leaders is outrageous.

And let me be clear: whatever this prosecutor might imply, there is no equivalence — none — between Israel and Hamas.

We will always stand with Israel against threats to its security."

8 Likes

There is no equivalence between Israel and Hamas? How about Israel and Palestine? How about Israelis and Palestinians?

Because that is the equality which is constantly denied. That between people and people.

9 Likes
1 Like

I am one of the people who has dropped their support for a two state solution , for a one state solution.
We need to recognise Palestine as a complete sovereign entity, and ensure the safety of all Palestinians, jew, arab or christian.
Edit: or atheist.

3 Likes

How is “recognize as a sovereign entity” different from a two state solution?

1 Like

I think his point is that in his model, Palestine is Israel.

One could go further and say that the resulting single state isn’t Israel with Palestine folded into it, or Palestine with Israel merged in, it’s, I don’t know: Outremer, the union of both, descendant of both, privileging neither.

3 Likes

I would take the name Canaan over Outremer, which is kind of implicitly a Christian conquest, but both include Lebanon. But either way I think the region has had enough of westerners drawing all the lines without seeing what people there actually want and what works for them.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any name, in any language, with history or without, which doesn’t have huge problems. Is it The Occupied West Bank, or is it Samaria?

I personally don’t have an opinion as to one state or two state or a Federated state of square-kilometer regions or whatever. As you say: it’s not up to me.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t want to bang some heads together sometimes and say “for the love of… neither of you are ever going to agree about this so here’s something which will make both of you unhappy and you can go and bond over that.”

And after I’ve made peace in the Middle East, I’ll …

6 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Well, that’s a hell of a dog whistle…

7 Likes
4 Likes

https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/ampr/date/2024-05-20/segment/01

6 Likes

Some commentary on that from Spencer Ackerman…

6 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

This report says that Ireland will recognise Palestine on Wednesday.

5 Likes
1 Like