Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Norway has announced plans to recognise a Palestinian state - Spain and Ireland are expected to make similar announcements this morning

Spain also to recognise Palestine on 28 May
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has just announced that his country will recognise the state of Palestine on 28 May.

Ireland to recognise a Palestinian state - Irish PM
Meanwhile in Ireland, Irish Prime Minister Simon Harris says the country will recognise a Palestinian state.

4 Likes

All three will on the 28th.

It’s not a race, it’s a question of what concrete things they will do. Von der Leyen is wailing and gnashing her fangs as we speak. But the Irish government’s party will support her in the EU Parliament. That’s just to give a sense of how this isn’t a radical move at all. Mainstream conservative opinion has been permanently pushed by the massacres and ethnic cleansing in Palestine.

7 Likes

Why don’t you send Netanyahu himself to scream abuse at our government in person? Go on. I dare you.

8 Likes

Count Rugen The Princess Bride GIF by filmeditor

3 Likes

Also to point out that Spain has been dragging its feet since they already announced in 2011 they would recognize Palestine. President Zapatero came and went, and a non-binding resolution was finally passed in 2014. But with a conservative goverment at the helm, the resolution went nowhere. The current president has been telling he would do it since… 2017.

Maybe they were waiting for other european countries to pick the torch. Let see if this time it really goes forward.

(I think the main issue in the past is that Israel was a VERY GOOD CLIENT of our military factories; now that we are devoting our production to help Ukraine t is a good time to break the dependence cycle)

5 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

“Ok people don’t like the genocide, but what if neoliberal capitalism too” :rage:
Because stealing everything and giving it to the “free market” worked so well in Iraq.

6 Likes

Anyone feels like this is like OCP unveiling their plans for detroit in Robocop?

“And after our robotic policemen turn into rubble what’s left of Old Detroit we will be able to build our free trade zone like we always wanted!”

ETA: Seems I ate several words in the middle of the sentence.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

3 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

And as if on cue, some of the quiet parts about this conflict get really loud:

https://x.com/QudsNen/status/1793015181225660904

Embed thing isn’t working so here’s the headline-
“If they’ll do this to Israel, we’re next.”

American Senator Lindsey Graham expresses his concern that the US might be pursued on charges of war crimes.

4 Likes

Hey Lindsey, whatever happened to “If you haven’t done anything wrong you don’t have anything to fear”?

(yeah, I know it’s BS, but he’s exactly the type to spout that drivel)

6 Likes
1 Like