Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

I have been very careful about what I say to whom and on what platform on this whole situation. I wish I didnā€™t feel like I had to, but I do feel like I have to. I got into a pretty heated discussion with a Jewish friend of mine the other day, who believes Israelā€™s response is not only right, but the only possible response. Thankfully, I felt free to express my opinions with her without fear that she would accuse me of anti-Semitism or even think less of me, but it was still an uncomfortable conversation. But Iā€™m not posting jack shit about this conflict on Facebook.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Barack Obama Yes GIF by Obama

4 Likes

(Their) actions appear to align more with the Republicansā€™ ongoing Banon-esque strategy to undermine democratic institutions, cultivate division, stoke fears of an immigrant invasion, and escalate a religious and cultural conflict against Muslims and the left.

The divisive language from the right has blurred the lines between Hamas militants and everyday Palestinians living under their control, further escalating already high tensions in the U.S.

The reactionary American right, like the extreme right in Israel find common ground in their anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant stances. Both factions also see this as opportune moment for Israel to annex and ethnically cleanse the West Bank and Gaza.

One has to wonder about the nature of support Israel might receive from a potentially, vindictive Trump White House. Would right-wing Israelis continue to back Trump as he takes an isolationist stance?

https://archive.ph/G7Aah

1 Like

Itā€™s a time for choosing

The humanitarian catastrophe unfolding in Gaza requires each of us to make a choice.

5 Likes

from

9 Likes

And as for why something so seemingly obvious needs to be constantly restated . . .

:weary:

2 Likes

Right?

Marc Maron Rage GIF by IFC

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to figure out my own feelings on the matter and itā€™s still pretty muddled.

At the end of the day, I think itā€™s because itā€™s not possible to tell if someone is anti-Hamas if all they do is say ā€œend Israeli Apartheidā€ and thereā€™s a deep fear that itā€™s just a dog whistle for a unknown but large percentage of people and that it could radicalize many of the rest.

That fear is magnified with reports about people chanting hamas slogans ā€œfrom the river to the seaā€ or ā€œGas the Jewsā€ (wtf Australia), antisemitic images conflating all Jews with Israelis or the Israeli government, synagogues and Jews being attacked, how little mourning there were for the dead Jews and how quickly the Palestinian protests were organized.

Even though I abhor the situation Palestinians are in and see Israel as an oppressor and deeply dislike and distrust the Israeli government, thereā€™s a little voice that whispers how many places were safe for Jews right up until the massacres began.

I donā€™t know. Thereā€™s probably more. Like I said, itā€™s muddled.

3 Likes

About two weeks ago:

A motion to censure her was introduced a week ago:

Speaking in parliament on Monday about the motion:

So, in conclusion:

At least the federal NDP seems to have her back. I know a lot of Ontario (former) NDP supporters are really upset by this.

4 Likes

Maybe we should just tattoo our denunciations on our foreheads?

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t originally a Hamas slogan.

3 Likes

No matter which side they claim to support, people who conflate the nation of Israel with the Jewish faith are not to be trusted. When they start talking about Jews instead of Israel, thatā€™s when I start to worry. Luckily, conscientious people know the difference.

7 Likes

high quality GIF

Does someone being pro or anti-Hamas matter to end this situation, because itā€™s really an intolerable one that should not exist. Human rights should not depend on people believing all the exact right things. We donā€™t take away basic human rights to fascists in this country, for example.

Also, BABIES ARE BEING KILLED right now in Gazaā€¦ are they pro or anti-Hamas? Do we need to wait to see if weā€™re to protect their rights to live, based on what they might believe when they are adults? We canā€™t see inside someoneā€™s head to decided if they hold ideas we disagree with, and we shouldnā€™t not base their access to basic rights on that.

Do you though, because you seem to be basing their right to exist on whether or not YOU think theyā€™re good people.

Plenty of people do not do that, including the many Jewish people, even the many Israelis who oppose the occupation.

The same should be said of people who conflate the Palestinians and Hamas.

8 Likes

[ETA] This is worth a listen, if youā€™re at all interested in the structure of the Palestinian leadership/politics under occupationā€¦

Tomorrow, 1A plans to do a show on Israeli domestic politics.

3 Likes
3 Likes