Israel - Palestine conflict. 2023-24 misery and horror continues

Hostilities in the Gaza Strip and Israel | Flash Update #29

[ETA]

:thinking:

3 Likes

Some details on the IDF building defensive positions in Gaza:

(threadreader version)

Even after over a year of seeing similar analysis in the Ukraine war, I still find it crazy that we can see day old satellite photos pointing out military movements.

Also the US State Department is recommending that all Americans leave Lebanon immediately:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

but sure… this is a war against Hamas, not all Palestinians…

3 Likes
4 Likes

Christ what an asshole.

5 Likes

Does this guy not know what fallout is?

6 Likes

In a social media post, Eliyahu said: “It is clear to anyone who is sensible that the nuclear remark was metaphorical.”

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

(Ghassan Abu Sitta is a British-Palestinian surgeon working in the Gaza Strip. Harold Shipman was a British doctor who murdered his elderly patients.)

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/far-right-minister-nuking-gaza-is-an-option-population-should-go-to-ireland-or-deserts/

The language here is insane. A commentator thinks that at least if they just kept bombing from the air their wouldn’t be any casualties…

1 Like
1 Like

I’d be wary of the doctor’s petition story until a reputable journalistic source vets it.

The original source appears to be the Quds News Network and they’ve been caught posting fake images before.

They had previously been banned by Twitter for being affiliated with Hamas before Musk took over.

4 Likes

CNN had an interesting interview today with Bernie Sanders.

Sanders tries to thread the needle. He doesn’t see how you can have a ceasefire with Hamas, but calls for a humanitarian pause. He calls for the end of Hamas, but also stop the bombing of civilians. He says Israel needs to change it’s military strategy, but admits he’s not a military expert.

There are some highlights from the interview in the Guardian:

8 Likes

All in all, that sounds like a fairly reasonable response from Sanders.

3 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

1 Like

I have felt lost watching progressive friends, women’s rights activists, influencers and celebrities I admire stumble to find the words to condemn the atrocities committed by Hamas against Israeli civilians, among them six of the human beings I love most in the world. Even as I sit here thinking of my family and some 240 other Israeli hostages, I scroll through my news feed and cry for the innocent Palestinian children and lives lost in Gaza. I look at the face of Mohammed Abujayyab, a man in Los Angeles who was trying to save his grandmother in Gaza, and I see my own pain reflected in his expression.

Again and again I hear that Israel is a country of white colonizers and oppressors. So some of my bewilderment is in my very skin. My maternal grandparents, Avraham and Sara, grew up in a tiny rural village in central Yemen. Like other Jews in the Arabian Peninsula, Yemenite Jews were persecuted as second-class citizens through what are known as dhimmi laws — the denigration of non-Muslims before the law. In 1949, after pogroms against Jews in Yemen, my grandparents set out by foot and donkey on an arduous journey to the capital, Sana. From there, they were airlifted during Operation Magic Carpet to the newly formed state of Israel. As refugees fleeing oppression in their birth country, they began their lives in Israel in poverty. Slowly they built a humble but comfortable life and raised five children, among them my mother.

So maybe you can imagine my surprise the first time I heard my Israeli family called “white colonizers.” When did we become white? And how could a family fleeing persecution be perceived as colonizers? I have heard this description for years; perhaps I shrugged it off too easily. But it’s not the catchphrases or even the loudest and most inflammatory voices that have made me feel so betrayed. Rather, it’s those who have remained silent when they otherwise would never be, like the women who lifted up the #MeToo movement alongside me yet now refuse to cry out against even the violence against women or rape reported by an Israeli military forensics team.

New reports about the sickening crimes committed at the hands of Hamas continue to come out of Israel, but the left seems to be focused only on the response from Israel, undeniably a devastating one. I never imagined that the left — my own world — would not be able to at least hold space for both Israeli and Palestinian civilians.

Kind of a long excerpt, but it’s the same sentiment I’ve been hearing for weeks from friends.

1 Like

Wow, that interview is literally the entire complex shitstorm of the entire online discourse of this war in one tidy package.

I like the fact that he basically calls out that “just because it’s hard to do doesn’t give you the right to massacre civilians instead, because fucking right it doesn’t.

Good interview.

6 Likes

2 Likes