ISS astronaut asked if he took home a piece of the moon

I’m starting to think that certainty, fear, laziness inhibit curiosity.
If I think I know the answer, there is no need to explore further.
And it’s a lot of work to change my world view.

“Dumb” should be considered yet another “or”.

Good ol’ This American Life, this week’s episode deals with knowledge vs faith, or faith based knowledge.

So which definition of billion are we going for?

If you’re Briyish, either os acceptable, bonus points for knowing both.

If you’re American, 1 billion = 1e9

I find that to be infinitely less interesting than “there are real people up there, right now, orbiting the planet!”

Obviously I’m not Auntie Fun-and-Games, I’m Auntie Gives-a-Proper-Answer. I’m sure the kids will like me eventually.

2 Likes

Depends on the age of the kids.

Testing if they were privileged enough to have decent schooling?

1 Like

A question is meant to gather information that the person doesn’t have, but wants to know. When a fussy kid is in tears, on the verge of a tantrum, and asks why they can’t have candy for dinner, they’re not really asking a question. They’re delaying, arguing, and trying to wear you down so they can have their way.

That’s not a question. It’s a type of rhetorical device in which the “asker” is making a statement (“Obama is a Kenyan Muslim put in place by the reptilians to take take away our guns”) in the appearance of a question, so they can initiate an argument with any listener who dares to disagree. It’s similar to a rhetorical question, in that an answer is not actually expected; in this case, however, it’s meant to cause an argument or lead to a sermon.

It’s a more trollish version of, “Have you stopped beating your wife?” The person asking isn’t asking because they lack information, they’re asking for some kind of tactical advantage.

Tl;DR – it’s not a question, it’s a rhetorical device.

TL/DR - Maybe stupid questions are mainly rhetorical devices in the guise of questions.

Perhaps I got a bit too complicated with that one…

How about when someone asks “How much is this?” (when they’ve just pulled it out of a bin with an obnoxiously large sign that states precisely how much it is)[and yeah, not because they do not read the language in which it is printed, are otherwise illiterate, or have a learning disability that would otherwise prevent them from reading the sign right in front of their noses].

Is that better?

I forgot - are you Australian? Because you have a point, based on the treatment of Native Australians and (over here) Irish Travellers. Yes, the remark was flippant but you are correct in pointing out the downside.

1 Like

There’s a touch of Irish Traveller in my own ancestry, BTW. According to Grandma’s stories, anyway.

The treatment of Indigenous Australia is a crime against humanity, to be sure. Half of my immediate family have spent their lives trying to do something about that.

But the immediate thought that motivated my post was the memory of US “literacy” tests for voters, plus an awareness of the shocking state of the USA’s defacto segregated public school system.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.