NASA astronaut Scott Kelly safely returns to Earth after year-long mission in space

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Is he in this country legally? Has anybody checked his papers? He’s probably just coming here to get our juicy welfare benefits and make a bunch of anchor babies.

12 Likes

NASA needs better mission patch designers. This is nowhere near as cool as the Apollo mission patches

1 Like

First words back on Earth: Donald Trump, no freaking way!

3 Likes

How did he keep his head shaved so closely? Either he’s naturally hairless or NASA has electric space razor technology they’re holding out from us.

3 Likes

(Frantically searches expedia.com for next available flight off-planet)

2 Likes

He landed in Kazakhstan didn’t he? And not even through a recognised port of entry.

3 Likes

Pretty sure they have a combined razor and vacuum device which they use for this.

1 Like

Referring to the Apollo 11 patch, Mike Collins said that having a branch in the Eagle’s landing gear always seemed wrong to him.

1 Like

I knew this was outer space technology from the future

ETA: Come to think of it, there’s a scene in Moon where GERTY is using a Flobee attachment on Sam…

7 Likes

Clearly it’s too early for me, because I spent a little time being astonished at the difference between those “before” and “after” pics.

1 Like

I think in Kazakhstan the spaceport is actually one of the most important ports of entry (and exit).
For one thing, it’s landlocked (the Caspian is a lake).

1 Like

Nasa should thrive under a Trump presidency…

[note sarcasm]

1 Like

What? We’ll have the greatest gilded spacecraft on the planet!

5 Likes

Now I’m genuinely curious as to how this works. It’s not like there aren’t already laws about mundane things like copyright in space, so I’ll bet there’s some kind of international provision somewhere about landing astronauts. Especially during the cold war, when landing in the wrong political region could be bad news.

EDIT: Apparently we never truly loose the surly bonds of bureaucracy.

2nd EDIT: As I suspected, there’s a treaty.

1 Like

With a “comb over”!

1 Like

And more than a few rhinestones!

1 Like

Interesting! Makes sense - if space travel ever becomes routine, national borders will become so porous. Imagine trying to interdict smuggled goods!

1 Like

Space anchor babies!!

4 Likes

That’s nothing. What about the Nigerian Prince Astronaut who’s been in space, like, forever?

http://www.gizmodo.in/news/Heres-the-Best-Nigerian-Prince-Email-Scam-in-the-Galaxy/articleshow/50968871.cms

5 Likes