It is extra fun to watch Bruce Lee destroy Chuck Norris in 'Way of the Dragon'

Originally published at: It is extra fun to watch Bruce Lee destroy Chuck Norris in 'Way of the Dragon' | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The sound effects are too distracting for my taste.

3 Likes

“I was raised in Forrest, across from Morris, I got more hair on my chest than Chuck Norris.” – Master Rob.

4 Likes

We had this on VHS when I was a kid. I must have seen this 50 times. I don’t know if I actually liked it, or only watched it because it was all we had.

4 Likes

I dont mind the sound effects but the camera work and shots are particularly weird. There’s a shot where you see the cat leave… and then literally 2 seconds later it’s back on the wall? Unless its another cat, if so that’s a confusing choice to make. The zoom ins and outs at the very end were pretty heavy handed and made me lol, but it was a different time and the way Lee was making his films and choreographing them was purposefully different so i can’t be too mad at it.

4 Likes

Man, the sexual tension is even more intense than Olive Reed and Alan Bates in “Women in Love”.

That move Brue Lee pulls off at 0:57 is jaw dropping; where his upper torso doubles in width as he tenses his lats. :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

5ELtZRj1

20 Likes

Like he’s sprouting wings.

7 Likes

Sound effects? All my joints sound like that.

16 Likes

You need to take the seeds out before lighting up.

22 Likes

Growing up with only a weathered copy of “Way of the Dragon” for entertainment seems like a great back story.

6 Likes

I wish there were more to my story. :frowning:

2 Likes

There’s still time.

1 Like

Every time I rewatch this it provides more questions than answers:

• How does Bruce keep a straight face when Chuck takes his shirt off?
• How does Bruce know the ‘courtesy’ time allowed for the ‘I need a minute to warm up’ warm-up? Isn’t that kind of embarrassing if you get that wrong?
• Is the violent zoom-out of Bruce a result of the camera operator slipping and falling on his ass? WTF?
• Is the persistent ‘I’m waiting for the next blow’ pause by oponent during a multi-blow beatdown also a courtesy?

3 Likes

I used to wonder why Chuck stuck around after Bruce removed his! In later years, I imagined Bruce thinking, “Dude, I could recommend a spa…never mind, let me help you out with that.” Riiiip!

4 Likes

Like a cobra’s hood!

3 Likes

Took me six hours to get the joke.

I. Am. Smart.

4 Likes

It’s sad that we lost Bruce Lee so soon, and Chuck Norris is still with us. I wish we could have swapped them!

5 Likes

Especially the joint popping. I never did get a whoosh from any strike though. Even wearing a loose Gi.

1 Like

Ah yes, the era of the silly crash zoom. Over and over and over again.

For a slab of beef, Norris is surprisingly good here. But Lee…wow, that incredible charisma still shines through loud and clear. The dude is CUT, even by modern standards. The speed and precision of his moves is quite stunning, too.

2 Likes

All I could think was, “That kitty’s no longer with us.”

1 Like