It won't be as easy as it used to be to bring comfort animals on a Delta flight

I prefer my emotional support 0.5mg xanax and emotional support whiskey (neat)

2 Likes

cuppywater

My Comfort Chubachara is sad about this. I mean just one incident with him and a comfort goat and we have to fill out all the paper work.
Cuppy is well trained and likes to stay under the seat…sometimes he does play “GOT YOUR FOOT” with people, he’s such a cut up that way.

8 Likes

After giving this some consideration, I have decided that anyone who relies on a comfort snake or a therapy chicken could probably do just as well with a plush animal toy.

1 Like

No one comes between me and my comfort eagle.
ce

6 Likes

You might want to take a look at the ADA National Network’s fact page for Service Animals.

An airline may choose to permit an “emotional support duck” with a doctor’s documentation, but the ADA does not require them to do so.

Under the ADA, “service animals” can only be dogs (and specially-trained miniature ponies, if they can be accommodated on size/weight issues.) , and must be trained to perform specific tasks or work related to an individual’s disability.

And, no, “providing comfort” doesn’t count.

(Actual service animals don’t require any documentation.Only two questions allowed: is this animal required because of a disability, and what work or task is the animal trained to perform?

And it has to be a dog. Unless they have room for miniature ponies.)

1 Like

I think requiring that an animal you bring on an airplane without a carrier be certified to be trained to behave in public is an eminently reasonable idea.

4 Likes

references the Air Carrier Access Act:

This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

so, consult this chart

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/P3.SA_.HUD%20Matrix.6-28-6.pdf

normally the rule is that no documentation is required for a service animal, but there’s an exception for emotional support animals.

the relevant regulatory language may be found here

http://www.southwestada.org/html/topical/aircarrier/aircarrier_serviceanimals.html

14 C.F.R. § 382.117

And there is nothing to prevent Fred The Attack Beagle’s owner from taking him to work every day, simply answering those two questions with lies.

This exact situation happened at an employer of mine. It was only quashed when we learned that Fred’s owner was leaving him in the office overnight and instructing security to feed and walk him. Turns out that after a marital breakup Fred’s owner found herself moving to a no-pets building, and decided to work a “service animal” scam.

My comfort Pittie is trained to jump up and kiss everyone on the lips.
Actually they both are, but one has perhaps forgotten how.

It’s not every dog that understands the importance of catharsis. Definitely a professional.

1 Like

“Comfort Eagle”

ee

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.