Italian authorities seeking woman who "mimicked sex" with Bacchus statue in photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/italian-authorities-seeking-woman-who-mimicked-sex-with-bacchus-statue-in-photos.html

7 Likes

“Are these really the kinds of lewd behavior we want associated with Bacchus?”

55 Likes

I mean she woke up from the Bacchic frenzy and everyone wasn’t dead so it’s pretty good!

17 Likes

Life imitates Art, stealing from The Orville S1, E7 “Majority Rule”

1 Like

Far be it from me to argue with Italian authorities, BUT if the reveler was, you know, “rewarded” in her shenanigans {wink}, the sex wasn’t “mimicked.”

5 Likes

But…that’s exactly what Bacchus would want.

9 Likes

Simply reviving ancient custom in Dionysus/Bacchus worship.

5 Likes

I’d say she got off easy.

9 Likes

FIFY, YW.

4 Likes

Do they get to make that claim with a straight face when the statue in question is a replica? What cultural heritage are we protecting here, a long and storied tradition of making knockoffs?

4 Likes

The statue might be a 2006 replica, it still respects the cultural heritage, by protecting the original from the depredations of pollution, vandalism and athletic amorous encounters.

1 Like

You’ve gotten the wrong end of the stick there. The thing that protects the original is removing it from the dangers of the street. The only thing the replica protects is tourism.

1 Like

I expect tourists would still flock to a Florence without the statue and never know the difference, the Florentines are more accustomed to him in his usual position.

2 Likes

A cultural heritage of prudery based on over a millennia and a half of Catholic hegemony, I’d wager.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.