Italy evicts Steve Bannon from $110,000-a-year medieval monastery that was to be was his “gladiator school for cultural warriors”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/italy-evicts-steve-bannon-from.html

12 Likes

It fits with the alt-right’s current fixation on the Crusades and how they weren’t really the aggressors, but were defending themselves from Muslim invaders in the West.

18 Likes

The place looks like the lair of a Bond villain…

34 Likes

And Italy said unto Felicia, vada via.

(means go away, as opposed to arrivederci which means see you later)

Bye%20Felicia

32 Likes

“after reports of fraud in the competitive tender process.”

What? A fascist engaging in corrupt business practises? How can this be…?

I’m sure his Uncle Vlad can set him up with a nice medieval monastery in Russia. Not as balmy as Italy, but what’s a little cold to brave Nordic supermen?

34 Likes

If you’re going to try to make it as a fascist in Italy you’re going to have to dress better than that.

52 Likes

Italy has a bit of a reputation for er, looking the other way for things like this. If they are saying non grazie to this, that’s notable.

36 Likes

He was renting that for less than $10k/month? Is the location absolutely terrible? Sublet that castle to a dozen renters or Air B&B it for easy cash.

I’m guessing the upkeep is pretty labor intensive though. I wonder if that agreement required him to maintain the buildings and the grounds?

22 Likes

Nothing says ‘we’re going to fight international pedophile rings’ than setting up a headquarters that also fetishizes roman culture.

19 Likes

The Crimean Riviera has a Mediterranean climate. So no problems there.

13 Likes

Of course that’s not just the Crusades, but current American policy: we’ve military bases in more or less every Muslim majority country, but somehow it’s Muslims invading the US that is the “real” danger.

Fuck white supremacism in all its guises.

38 Likes

Is it in an active volcano like I asked for?

26 Likes

I’m clearly living in the wrong part of the world. For half as much I would rent a castle half the size and not even start a fascist training camp.

12 Likes

Thank the Skygods. I was preparing a letter requiring my MP (Justine Greening - UK) to publicly denounce the school and any UK politicians who so much as looked at the brochure

2 Likes

If all else fails, there’s no shortage of rocks for him to crawl under. He’ll be fiiiine.

5 Likes

This is their go-to excuse for everything.

If you are found with a smoking gun and there’s a dead body on the ground in front of you, the politics of the cop who arrests you is irrelevant.

9 Likes

A low-rent Bond villain. Blowfeld knew: build, don’t rent.

Eat it, Bannon.

10 Likes

Why are we still using the euphemism “alt-right” to refer to these fascist, white-supremecist, nazi terrorists? It’s a ridiculous term meaning nothing and cloaks racism, ignorance, and hatred in a nebulous “hipster” term.

Just stop it.

9 Likes

28 Likes

Bannon will go the way of Breitbart, a swollen poisoned sub-human and even in death never to be missed. Zero fucks for this creep.

8 Likes