Italy's new far-right government criminalizing raves, but fascist marches are just fine

Originally published at: Italy's new far-right government criminalizing raves, but fascist marches are just fine | Boing Boing

3 Likes

We’ll also see what happens if Italy wins an important futbol match. “Oh those are celebratory burning cars in honor of athletic greatness, totally different…”*

*ETA: meant to be the voice of fascists, who, as users below cited more explicitly, tend to make excuses and exceptions for sports hooligans…

3 Likes

I’ve only experienced rave culture from the outside, but from what I have gathered, they seem to find a way even if raves are illegal.

(Though fair point we should be making sure raves are safe.)

3 Likes

I did NAZI that coming. Yes I did…

7 Likes

There is a huge difference between the sort of raves that people threw in the 80s and 90s that were illegal, not because they were raves, but because they happened outside of legal channels for large parties and banning an entire category of party/night life, which seems to be what the government is trying to do here…

4 Likes

Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi argued that the two events were “completely different things” as the Mussolini march had not disrupted public order

It’s a bloody fascist march. It’s designed to disrupt public order.

11 Likes

Sure, there is a difference in motivations and probably how hard they crack down on them. It was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek.

But I predict they will have a similar respect for the law as back then and people will still be organizing events underground. And I think this will lead to more people being actively anti-fascist. YMMV.

4 Likes

Yeah but so did Swing kids in Nazi Germany and Punks in East Germany… The outcome was pretty different from the crack downs you had in the west on kids embracing counter/sub-cultural identities. This government is clearly fascist aligned.

3 Likes

Italian football hooligans tend to be far-right, so they’re protected.

OK, football hooligans in general tend to be far right, with only a few examples that are notable for being an exception to the rule.

5 Likes

Indeed… in the war in Bosnia, some of the militias were made up of Football hooligans…

4 Likes

Hmmm [Strokes chin]…

Fascist raves, anyone? Nah - seems unlikely we’ll see fascists parading through the streets to 120bpm techno.

So, maybe just raving fascists. Yeah - that’s what we’ve got here.

3 Likes

If Reagan played disco
He’d shoot it to shit
You can’t disco in Jackboots. --The Minutemen

Also: haven’t they seen Footloose? You can’t stop the kids from dancing.

5 Likes

Well - nothing bad ever happens TO fascists in Italy…right?

Googles ‘death of Mussolini’…ahh gross…so nasty…blech…

4 Likes

They tried to take over the gabber scene in the 1990s and 2000s

Here’s a couple of Italian gabbers on an antifascist record label, with a message for the Italian government.

8 Likes

I suppose that explains Gab.

1 Like

Italian fascists (Mussolini at least) were keen on jazz. One of his sons was an accomplished jazz pianist.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.