It's king cake season, enjoy!

Originally published at: It's king cake season, enjoy! | Boing Boing

5 Likes

be sure to swallow the “baby” or you are on the hook for the next cake! (/s?) heehee! don’t choke!

what? did i do it wrong?

3 Likes

These would always be in the break room at one of my old jobs. I doubt I can find one locally nor would I really want an entire for myself.

1 Like

5 Likes

So… it sounds like a “King Cake” could be just about anything. They showed a galette des rois in there, but that seemed like an anomaly and the standard “king cake” appears to be a ring of yeasted bread dough which may or may not be sweet?

2 Likes

Those are all good recs; Haydel’s and Gambino’s are classics. This year I’ve only had one king cake - a Randazzo’s which was very good. And Dong Phuong is a terrific bakery. I prefer the more traditional cakes, though, without anything fancy. A bacon, peanut butter, banana, marshmallow “Elvis” cake from Boulangerie might appeal to others more than me

1 Like

I’ve never had a king cake, but I recently had Kouign-Amann - and O.M.G. It is amazing balls! It has a fuck ton of butter and is so flaky and good. It has a lot of sugar, but doesn’t taste like it has a lot of sugar.

10/10!!

2 Likes

I am more familiar with the Spanish equivalent - Rosca de Reyes. Our rosca this year had 5 babies and despite 20ish people there, my family got 2. It’s considered really good luck though, besides having to pay for the party, so I’ll hope for that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.