It's official: Disney+ will premiere Peter Jackon's 6-hour Beatle's documentary in November

An old friend of mine onced described Dylan as, ‘you know, that whingey bloke? Sounds like a hoover?’. Mind you, he owned several Supertramp albums. On purpose

6 Likes

Oh, come on, Paul’s been dead, what? Fifty years or so? :grinning:

5 Likes

They were my favorite band when I was a kid. I will still watch this doc when the opportunity presents. But I still like mocking the whole concept of another Beatles documentary.

2 Likes

I never get the anti-Yoko sentiment, the Beatles ended, they were a gang of lads who grew up and grew apart, a perfectly natural thing. Yoko just happened to be there at the time. The focus on her is racism, and in terms of misogyny she shares that burden with the mockery of Linda McCartney’s musical ability.

The work of contemporaries who (more or less) stuck together, such as the Beach Boys or the Stones is nothing to write home about and do you really want a Beatles equivalent of Summer in Paradise?

1 Like

Blaming the Beatles’ breakup on Yoko isn’t just racist and misogynist, it also infantilizes John Lennon by implying that he didn’t have enough agency to make his own decisions.

3 Likes

Hopefully it will be as accurate and informative as Peter Jackson’s other documentary Forgotten Silver

3 Likes

2 Likes

Exactly. The “Beatles sucked” hot takes that run wild on social media are a little wearying. Music, in general, is a place where people’s opinions are deeply personal and informed to various degrees by their knowledge of/appreciation for the technical merits of musical compositions, and then the intangible “how it makes you feel” factor. On top of that, it’s bound-up tightly with our memories and experiences of certain times and places in our lives.

In my youth I took a whole college semester seminar on the Beatles–we went track-by-track through all of the albums and viewed the entirety of the Anthology documentary. I had always been sort of okay with them growing up, and loved music in general, so I figured it was a good opportunity to understand what the fuss was about. I decidedly gained an appreciation for them through those months of study, but I don’t really listen to them now.

Though George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass is still pretty transcendent.

3 Likes

Only for tax reasons.

2 Likes

Not if you ask my mam. She’s got a dossier. She’s writing a book about it and everything. :flushed:

Oh dear…

Paul is Q.

goo goo ga q

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.