It's surprisingly easy to alter anyone's airline reservations

the best defense is a good offense.

4 Likes

IF even that. They can’t reroute your plane, only change your tickets, so you’d go to your original gate, find out your ticket is no longer valid and that you are instead ticketed to somewhere you never intended to go. chances are you wouldn’t get on the new plane to the wrong destination, rather you’d argue with some haggard ticket clerk until they fixed it.

4 Likes

Certainly. I’m well aware of the different angles of the discussion, I’ve been in infosec for over 20 years now.

I’d like to see someone develop a script to find frequent flyers on particular routes, and try to sit them next to others who often fly the same route. It might make the all-too-often inhuman experience of flying feel a little more pleasant. Assuming they all get along, of course.

3 Likes

Disagree.

Blackmail and hostage taking are causing harm to others for your own benefit.

Telling a company, “Hey, I found this vulnerability in your software; I’m not going to tell anyone until you’ve had a chance to fix it” is, if anything, minimizing benefit to yourself for the benefit of others. After all, a viable attack vector is more valuable than an obsolete one. A better example of blackmailing/hostage taking , in my opinion, would be the case of Ashley Madison. The hackers tried to leverage the ill-gotten information for something that was of benefit to them, and when they didn’t get it, they released the information, hurting many other people.

This is not like Ashley Madison. Yes, the airline industry has been harmed by this, but only because they were relying too much on security through obscurity in the first place.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.