It's the 90s

Yes, and high modernity kicks that into high gear, thanks in part to the rise of sci-fi as a literary genre…

I think that came from the religious types being disappointed that we did not get a nuclear apocalypse…

And it never being as “cool” as it was in the books…

And in some ways, the future present ended up being somehow worse than our past present when we were dreaming about the future… our present reality (2020) killed our notion of an endless future of progress that we call came to expect. Even the dystopias were more interesting and exciting than the actual reality of a dystopia, because AT LEAST THE FUCKING TECHNOLOGY WORKED…

Yeah… I mean, there were dystopias before, but I think the rise of the YA dystopia can be tied to that period… Of course, the Hunger Games was specifically written about children dealing with various forms of PTSD, which many children around the world were regularly dealing with, thanks to our endless wars…

And that is why we need to be writing and reading new utopias and hopefully visions of the future. For all it’s imperfections, at least Star Trek gave us something the strive for and imagine. We can do that with our popular culture again, if we have the bravery to do it.

8 Likes

Max Headroom told us the truth, but we didn’t listen

8 Likes

The distant future, the year 2000
The distant future, the year 2000
The distant future, the distant future
It is the distant future, the year 2000
We are robots
The world is quite different ever since
The robotic uprising of the late nineties

5 Likes

I think the concept goes both directions in time, the idea that the present is how it always was as well as how it will always be.
it’s a hot take, I may not be right, but I’m thinking specifically about medieval depictions of biblical times, but the clothing is all contemporary to the depiction.
although, maybe it’s deeper than that, since the scenes all took place in the levant etc but the people were depicted as fair, blue-eyed blondes etc.

2 Likes

It’s funny because it’s true! :rofl:

6 Likes

No kidding on that. Look at what a wreck the telephone network has become.

3 Likes

In the future, everybody will have a telephone in their pocket, and we’ll be able to do anything we can imagine with them except make phone calls, they’ll suck at that

Pay phones will suck too, after they get deregulated in … the '90s

Home landlines will still work, but our housemates won’t understand why we want one

6 Likes

Is there a word for boring, banal dystopias? Because we need it as we’re living in one.

2 Likes

Bore-topia? :rofl:

But I think but last week’s Cat and Girl sort of addresses that (at least for those of us lucky enough to be sheltering at home…

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was Charlie Stross who coined the term ‘beige apocalypse’ on his blog but a quick search isn’t returning anything for me.

ETA: Or, the beige dictatorship.
ETA2: The follow-up to that piece.

3 Likes

Yeah, up until not so long ago, the Western notion of time was that the past and future would be like the present. Leaders might change, you might be invaded, but life would be fundamentally the same. (Because, for very large time scales, that was true.) I’m sure the makers of religious art probably generally didn’t give much consideration to whether fashions had changed in the intervening centuries, but they also didn’t care because it wasn’t relevant to them. The purpose of art was not to depict things as they visually appeared at the time - that was true for events in the past and present. Art was about symbolism and making images relatable to people. What, for example, Jesus actually looked like was never the point. Depictions were based on existing symbolism - in the case of Jesus, pagan imagery of a young shepherd. Then Christianity changed, so they needed a patriarchal authority figure symbol, so imagery of Jupiter/Zeus was simple adopted as the now-familiar image of Jesus, further modified to fit local cultures.

3 Likes

It still freaks me out that 1990 was thirty fucking years ago and sometimes it seems like it was yesterday.

I love Douglas Adams’ take, in his little digression about time travel and grammar:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.