It's time for another Thanksgiving topic

I have an excellent recommendation on where you could get it sharpened, but the West Loop area in Chicago might not be convenient for you.

So glad to know I may have made your Thanksgiving a little easier this year!

3 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t thought about using a professional sharpening service—that’s a good idea, thanks. But you are right the West Loop wouldn’t be too convenient. (Let’s see…I do most of my errands on foot…Google maps says it would take about 135 hours to walk to the West Loop from Minneapolis…clearly I wouldn’t make it there and back before Thanksgiving. The directions are fairly complicated, too—prints out to 12 pages!). For now, I’ll try my hand with a sharpening stone and see how it goes—probably anything I do will be an improvement :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I know the drive well, but admittedly have never WALKED between Chicago and Minneapolis!

4 Likes

Canned is fantastic for next-day turkey sandwiches. Or turkey sandwiches at any time.

Not just for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

5 Likes

This, from a dear neighbor who works in botany and with native plants:

“If you can, every third bite you take, thank a pollinator.”

Pollinators are responsible for so much of our (human) food supply.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/384726/icode/

9 Likes

Running late?

6 Likes

This reminds me, in a roundabout way, of the pieces I’ve been seeing in my newsfeed recently about ‘the best way to bake potatoes’. It turns out, the younger generations are only now being clued in to the fact that microwaving potatoes isn’t actually the way to get a yummy BAKED potato. You have to --wait for it – BAKE them. (I know: not all people in the younger generations!)

13 Likes

Yep - longer anda little lower temp baking is best.

7 Likes

Now you talkin’.

2 Likes

Rub with oil for the last ~15 minutes! (be careful: it’s hot)

8 Likes

Nonononono, 425F for ~90 min. Crispy yummy skin, creamy soft innards. A little salt and you are good!

5 Likes
11 Likes

So, yup, pretty much how we do it. Never knew that was an English thing, but it is a very yummy thing. I got it from a cookbook that called them “overbaked potatoes” but nothing overbaked about those lovelies!

8 Likes

Ooh! I will absolutely try this.

I admit to using the microwave, but just to cut dramatically down on baking time; typically I poke holes, cover with a wet paper towel, then microwave for about 10 mins (until they have a very slight give). Then I bake at 400F until crispy (usually about 20 mins).

9 Likes

I like to add some garlic and butter& mix up a little when you take them out to open the cross cut a little more.

5 Likes

Do you serve baked potatoes with cream cheese filling? That’s a popular way here in Finland at least.

You mix cream cheese, herbs and spices, and some “meat”, like smoked salmon or ham chopped fine, and serve it on and in the baked potato. Yummy.

6 Likes

Turkeys are apparently not resigned quietly to their fate

EKYrkIIXUAIbQVZ

8 Likes

Sounds good. In the States, the dairy of choice (other than butter and/or grated cheese) is likely to be sour cream rather than cream cheese.

Boursin is a lovely option too, which basically is like a whipped cream cheese with herbs in it, so pretty much what you’re talking about.

11 Likes

“As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”

7 Likes
7 Likes