Ivanka tells 18 million out-of-work Americans: "Find something new!"

Yeah but just think about what she had to go through to get that money…shudders

10 Likes

Please either hide that behind an NSFW tag or kern it properly. Preferably the latter, but whatevs.

10 Likes

who needs training when you’re a genius?

Seventeen years ago, Melania Knauss was granted legal residency in the United States through a green card with the elite EB-1 program—dubbed the “Einstein visa”—reserved for those who demonstrate that they have “an extraordinary ability, are an outstanding professor or researcher, or are a multinational executive or manager.”…

when she was a model.

[ eta manual one box ]

17 Likes

But that was sooo Hillary!
:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Perhaps people deeply resent the ‘s’ in your statement? I know I sure as hell do.

There are some situations where a statement can be perfectly reasonable, and yet if the wrong person said it the entire world would cringe.

8 Likes

Good point :slight_smile:

Sure. In any other situation.

If there’s no job in that new career because pandemic? Or if the new job is contingent on the pandemic and will go away after?

What about people who are perfectly happy in a job that’s normally in high demand? Are you going to keep them employed or put them to work now by training them for a job that isn’t there?

In so far as what you’re describing is a generally good thing to be doing all the time. It’s a solution for situational or specific employment problems in a healthy economy.

It’s completely inadequate for the sort of crisis we’re in the middle of.

This sounds very nice. But access to that learning takes money, creating those opportunities takes money.

More over that epidemic thing is still hanging over our heads. What sort of opportunities are you gonna create to pull yourself up by your bootstraps while the people around you die. And the economy tanks because people are dying.

So again, good practice in general if the government to provides that money part. Not a response to the current situation.

3 Likes

Yes. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my original post where that was mentioned. As I said, it’s the right idea WITHOUT any of the things needed to make it work.

5 Likes

a statement can be perfectly reasonable, and yet if the wrong person said it the entire world would cringe.

This is true, but I personally don’t feel this rises to that, and I suppose am disappointed that so many others feel it does. Mainly because I believe that practicing “listening with good faith” (esp to those we disagree with) is more than about who’s speaking – it’s also about the hygeine of our own minds and hearts :heart:

If our current political conterparts train us to think this way about others, then we’re also participants (of a different sort) in rendering the future irreparable. And irreparable rifts down the middle of the social fabric only get solved in one of a few ways, all of which scare me…

2 Likes

This advice from Ivanka feels deliciously topical considering that the Executive Director of the National Republican Senatorial Committee is warning GOP Senators that many of them may have to seek new employment soon…

20 Likes

Not jobs. Contract, which she presumably won’t pay like her father.

13 Likes

11 Likes

The GOP goal is an economy where living until tomorrow is dependent on having a job today (for everyone age 15 to death that wasn’t born wealthy) and where the fear of starving drives people to do anything their corporate overlords want for whatever crumbs they’re offered. This has nothing to do with the pandemic; it is about getting workers to accept a life that consists of either continuously chasing fleeting, temporary sources of income or dying.

An actual response to the pandemic would be accepting that any nation where people’s health is so inherently linked to employment is not a nation with freedom and that now would be the time to implement the systems needed to change that. You know, maybe it might be a good time for the U.S. government to “find something new”

25 Likes

Some people definitely will. Some industries are going to take a long time to recover, others never will. Even in those that do, specific players are going to disappear, and even just looking for a new job in your prior field is “something new”

But I agree that as important as education is, job training is not the most important factor by far, even when COVID is no longer keeping people home. People can and do switch jobs or fields frequently. It requires some learning or training, but if there is actual demand for those jobs, employers find ways to make it happen. Add to that the numerous, often free or very inexpensive options for online learning. What people need is healthcare, childcare, and income support while they are out of work – whether they are home waiting out COVID with a job to return to, or their prior employer has shut down and they are looking to get into a new field. Educational funding is great, but people need help with the necessities before they can worry about that. People need to be able to pass on the 3rd part time minimum wage job that leaves them no time to learn new things without worrying that their children will get sick and they won’t be able to afford to take them to the doctor.

So focusing on training is not just “only one part of the answer” it is probably the least important part. And this initiative (so far) doesn’t even seem to provide any training assistance other than linking to generic online resources.

3 Likes

I need a word that describes “someone who has never had to find work in their life but is compelled to tell others to find work”.

15 Likes

I’m sure those GOP Senators would do just fine in their new jobs…unless the next administration really drains the swamp. If so, there’s always corporate board membership as a second choice.

7 Likes

I was coming to say the same thing.

What fucking irony right? When the DEM POTUS said, let’s retrain coal miners for new jobs the right lost their shit. Now people are laid off because of a pandemic and the right thinks “Hey, just train for a new job”!

I cannot take these fucking assholes anymore.

18 Likes

Calm down everyone. She’s right.

2 Likes

There is the one that Samantha Bee had to apologize for using, but lately people just drop the ‘c’ and use ‘tw’ instead… :thinking: Not sure if that’s a combination with twit or something worse.

12 Likes

9 Likes