Ivanka tells 18 million out-of-work Americans: "Find something new!"

It’s the “program” that’s cynical. If someone else, say a non-profit, were to run a program like this (though even then it should have meaningful retraining programs, not beginning coding classes), then I’d be with you. But Ivanka Trump is part of the administration - both the cause of the shit we’re in right now, and the one entity with the resources and reach (and the mandate) to actually do something about the problem - and all she’s giving is platitudes.

If you don’t see the parallels with Marie Antoinette and “Let them eat cake,” then you aren’t looking hard enough.

Would anything different change their minds? Because that’s been tried, and it didn’t work.

16 Likes

Well, I didn’t want to spend too much time with it.
do you really think it needs a NSFW tag?

4 Likes

Already covered but, bootstraps.

11 Likes

So their answer to the crisis of unemployment is simply saying “Get a job!”

Wow, why haven’t so many out-of-work Americans realized that on their own?

(thanks again for @Tamsin_Bailey supplying this excellent GIF)

19 Likes

Nah, I just hate seeing script faces spaced out like that. Makes my kidneys twitch.

2 Likes

489sgq

18 Likes

This is bringing back memories of Norman Tebbit (Margaret Thatcher’s enforcer).

I never want to remember Norman Tebbit.

In the aftermath of the 1981 riots in Handsworth and Brixton, Tebbit responded to a suggestion by the Young Conservative National chairman, Iain Picton that rioting was the natural reaction to unemployment:

I grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn’t riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking till he found it.

As a result, Tebbit is often misquoted as having directly told the unemployed to “get on your bike”, and he was popularly referred to as “Onyerbike” for some considerable time afterwards.

11 Likes

Or maybe people are correctly noting that someone who has never interviewed for a job isn’t the best judge of what it takes to interview for an entirely new job in our current lockdown environment.

18 Likes

Oi! So “onyerbike” is roughly equivalent to the “get a job” dismissal?
I do love a good turn of phrase and appreciate the history lesson!
thanks, mate! ta!
ETA: Rereading your post, I see “get on your bike” is the dismissive and “Onyerbike” is a nickname?
Also, the timing seems about right, is that where the line in the Queen song “get on your bikes and ride…” comes from?

3 Likes

On your bike is a more polite way of telling someone to fuck off.

13 Likes

Good to know, that…
thanks again. I’m sure I woulda made a Florida Man of myself using it the wrong way!

4 Likes

I bet if we said “Find something new!” to the Capitalist shareholders as a solution to the lockdown, we’d cause them to go into cardiac arrest, providing new job opportunities in the health field.

6 Likes

You forgot the /s.

1 Like

She’s right. The statue toppling business has been doing really good lately in the good ol U S A.

4 Likes

How about Vacuous Entitled Parasite?

13 Likes

VEP for short? I like it!

7 Likes

Exactly. It’s like a tapeworm giving advice on surviving a famine.

11 Likes

It is especially ironic because there are only about 65,000 coal miners in the US. A program to help them would be simple. How many unemployed are there right now that should “find something new?”

3 Likes

Makes for a pithy statement: “Ivanka Trump is a VEP”. Get the word out and we may be able to make it a common descriptor for all of that sort.
“Betsy DeVos is a VEP”. Yep, I like it!

7 Likes

Biden’s people need to get on this IMMEDIATELY:

"President ranting on screen about crazy racist stuff? Pandemic running amok without strong leadership? Banned from other nations because we can’t get our shit together?

#FIND SOMETHING NEW! BIDEN. NOVEMBER.

14 Likes