Ivanka tells 18 million out-of-work Americans: "Find something new!"

Well I found some new steps in that James Brown clip. Great to see his feet clearly silhouetted against the white platform. Don’t think it will find me employment though. But thanks for posting!

8 Likes

She knows what she’s talking about. First she found a rich dad to fund her business. Then she found a dad who was President to give her a job.

6 Likes

Ivanka would know…after all, she alone created 15 million jobs in the US!!

17 Likes

The truly insane bit is that this is what he was talking about. Her work on a corporate job retraining board whose results appear to be… this. This fetid pile of nothing.

15 Likes

(waves wand) : Opus creaturae!

(Nothing happens. After a minute, Ivanka shrugs and goes to get dressed for an important cocktail party.)

6 Likes

20 Likes

Honestly, this is just the explicit version of what nearly everyone is pushing vis a vis economic recovery. The idea that after flattening the curve, we’d be able to rebuild all of the businesses that have collapsed, all of the trade partnerships that have been obliterated, all of the supply chains that were already profoundly fragile and now untenable, the child care that is non-existent, but necessary for millions of adults to return to the workforce and the willingness of people to put themselves and their families directly in harm’s way because stock market is absurd and has been since March. This isn’t a light switch. The recovery will take generations.

ETA: And there is absolutely zero chance of the conversation around rebuild even beginning before January 2021.

27 Likes

Or one could just “gap year” their life and see such far flung places as:

A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶B̶e̶l̶g̶i̶u̶m̶,̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶t̶z̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶,̶ ̶C̶z̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶R̶e̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶,̶ ̶G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶y̶,̶ ̶D̶e̶n̶m̶a̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶S̶p̶a̶i̶n̶,̶ E̶s̶t̶o̶n̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶i̶n̶l̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶U̶n̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶d̶o̶m̶,̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶e̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶H̶u̶n̶g̶a̶r̶y̶,̶̶I̶r̶e̶l̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶r̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶I̶c̶e̶l̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶t̶a̶l̶y̶,̶L̶i̶e̶c̶h̶t̶e̶n̶s̶t̶e̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶L̶i̶t̶h̶u̶a̶n̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶L̶u̶x̶e̶m̶b̶o̶u̶r̶g̶,̶ ̶L̶a̶t̶v̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶M̶a̶l̶t̶a̶,̶ ̶N̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶s̶,̶ ̶N̶o̶r̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶a̶n̶d̶,̶ P̶o̶r̶t̶u̶g̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶S̶l̶o̶v̶a̶k̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶S̶l̶o̶v̶e̶n̶i̶a̶,̶ ̶S̶w̶e̶d̶e̶n̶

Or home is nice. You prolly have dishes or yardwork.

34 Likes

You can only ‘bolster’ skills you already have. So how is that finding something new? These people can’t even do the English.

10 Likes

It’s the right idea, without any of the meat and potatoes available to make it actually work. Yes, let people learn new skills, retrain, branch off into new careers. That requires a government that:

1. Pays for their education
  2. Supports them during a time of reduced income
  3. Provides healthcare
  4. Provides daycare

And those four things (plus a plethora of others) are things the GOP have no desire to provide the American public. Just dumb slogans and empty websites that lead to more nothing.

Nothing as far as the eye can see. Your GOP.

32 Likes

If you can’t sell a clothing or jewelry line right now, your daddy isn’t trying hard enough.

13 Likes

Its’ like … who learned them to thunk!

4 Likes

Alabama, Albania, Arizona, Croatia, Florida, Turkey, Mexico*, Florida, Tanzania, Florida, more Florida.

*They really should build that wall already

7 Likes

Find something new? Great! I want Tom Hanks career please - where do I sign up?

8 Likes

There’s no rebuilding involved.

It just all magically comes back.

Just like all the dead people.

Not really.

These jobs did not go away because those skills aren’t needed. Or the industry was left behind. Or the areas with lost jobs lack economic development.

It’s not a situation where people neccisarily need a new career.

The bulk of the lost jobs are coming from things that can’t be done in a pandemic. Businesses that will not do business open or shut in the current situation. And the rest is spin out from the overall economic down turn that’s driving.

There’s just not a different job for people to switch to. And “reopen” or not that’s not changing. Hundreds of thousands dead is going to tank the economy, and a tanked economy is gonna have fewer jobs. People aren’t going to go out to eat in the same numbers they usually do just because restaurants are technically open. The tourism industry isn’t going to kick up while the rest of the world is closing themselves off from us. And meat packing facilities can’t operate where their staff is too sick to man the shop.

So unless the something else is cutting pig carcasses in a factory with a massive outbreak. There isn’t a whole lot of something else to work with.

11 Likes

Well now you’re just being absurd. We’re not embryos, after all.

14 Likes

“Starving, America? Try eating dirt!”

5 Likes

I don’t like the Trumps being in power, but this sort of take is just too cynical for my tastes.

I mean, I wouldn’t have an issue with someone else encouraging folks to “find something new”, and in fact, people using this pandemic to do just that, is probably one of the only things that gives me hope in the world right now.

This just feels like slagging for the sake of slagging, and plays into the preconception amongst Trump’s few remaining loyalists that his opponents can’t be pleased, and will take any excuse to throw mud :angry:

2 Likes

I’m going to disagree with you there. I’m not suggesting they train for another job in their area that’s also not available. I’m suggesting lifelong learning and the ability to learn new skills and choose new career paths at any time is always a great thing. And would totally work if the government systems were in place to support you in that transition instead of slotting you into a narrow range of fields and then never providing you the opportunity to switch things up.

When people learn new things, they end up creating new opportunities as well. And more education is ALWAYS a great thing. So what better way to spend the time if you’ve been laid off than learning?

4 Likes

Learn to code gone 2020 I guess? They resisted this sort of plan for coal mining jobs, insisting that the same sort of jobs needed to come back, but now they’re promoting job retraining without providing any actual resources for folks to do so?

14 Likes