Jabberwocky in Nadsat

[Permalink]

3 Likes

horrorshow

1 Like

And by ā€œtranslatedā€ we mean ā€œwrote a completely different poem in the style ofā€.

9 Likes

Š½Š¾ Š½Šµ Š¾Ń‡ŠµŠ½ŃŒ хŠ¾Ń€Š¾ŃˆŠ¾.

2 Likes

Nicies, me droogs but still no candlestick on the real thingie [sorry, never learned the language]

хŠ¾Ń€Š¾ŃˆŠ¾ (ā€œhorrorshowā€) is the Russian for good, fine, OK. (My post just means"but not very good"). Burgess just borrowed Russian words and transliterated them a bit freely. (Russian doesnā€™t have a long ā€œooā€ vowel so ā€œdroogā€ falls into this class. The Russian vowel is more like the u in German Buch).

There was an influential group of British writers, including Michael Frayn, who learned Russian as part of military service to intercept Russian communications. Burgess doesnā€™t seem to have been one of them, but he learnt Russian at two stages in his life. He was apparently anxious to distance the Russian/English creole of A Clockwork Orange from ā€œrealā€ Russian, though.

1 Like

Very good! I am not often impressed with other peopleā€™s poetry. Only my own.

1 Like

I think that was the point. His characters arenā€™t Russian, theyā€™re British, and he leaves unasked the question of why British kids would know a few words of Russian. Slang isnā€™t always linguistically pure. Cf: boo-coo.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this far too much. must be time to reread Clockwork.

2 Likes

Unasked, but answered extra-textually:

ā€œAnd there was fine irony in the notion of a teenage race untouchable by politics, using totalitarian brutality as an end in itself, equipped with a dialect which drew on the two chief political languages of the age.ā€ (source)

A briefer article at the Anthony Burgess Foundation includes the note that Burgess fought to keep glossaries out of the various editions, but that has not remained the case.

2 Likes

What do you mean it was dobby?

(Hat tip to James Thurber.)

Now do it in Vogon.

2 Likes

Parts of some English translations of the Bible are a bit like that. And donā€™t get me started on the Book of Mormon.

I followed it just fine. And even liked it a little.

For what it is, not for what it says it is, or especially for what I thought it said I should expect it to be

~peremptorily begins to gnaw off own leg~

Sic transit gloria mundi. Currently for real totalitarian brutality you need Arabic and Mandarin.

Oh, come now. I think English and Russian still have their uses in that field.

Did you reply to me by mistake? This doesnā€™t seem related to what I posted. I never said anything against the poem, for one thing.

how can you not follow what I quoted you as saying

all the way to ā€˜i could follow itā€™?

IUn addition to being able to follow it, which you seemingly could not, having stated that it was a completely different poem, i enjoyed it for what it is.

As though you expected the same poem.

An expectation which i think you gave yourself, as I donā€™t see anyone else saying you should expect it to be not completely different. As a translation might well be expected to be completely different wordwise, though generally the same in story and tone, but apparently thatā€™s not a universal expectation, which may be my mistake in this.

So if youā€™re thinking it ought to be one thing, cool. I take things as they are; expectations are so many wasted neuron firings.

Iā€™m still not clear why you think I couldnā€™t follow it or didnā€™t like it, unless youā€™re just scrambling for any available means of insult.

You appear to be arguing that a ā€œtranslationā€ of a work can in fact be a completely different work in a similar style. Am I understanding you correctly?