Already regretting assigning Anthony Burgess to review the Samsung Galaxy Fold

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/already-regretting-assigning-a.html

7 Likes

Nothing about getting your eyes forcibly held open with the clamping mechanism?

11 Likes

You can pay extra for that. Or are they features, not bugs?

4 Likes

Nice try.

One, Anthony Burgess wrote many, many books besides Clockwork Orange. Some were even better. He was a master of English and other languages.

Two, Alex and the droogs’ slang was based on Russian (droog = друг, friend). Dunno what you were slinging, but it wasn’t close.

And stay offa my lawn!

13 Likes

The next version of the phone will be forcibly inserted into your eyes in just that manner.

You
Will
Thank
Us

7 Likes

It’s Korean slang.

11 Likes

I dunno. Eventually my computer will likely be a brain implant and I’ll be happy about that too.

2 Likes

Morbotron time!

10 Likes

SimpsonsFuturama did it first

woops, @Jorpho beat me to it.

5 Likes

I recall Jean-Paul Sartre’s review of the Dodge Dart, “In my journey to the end of night, I must rely not only on dialectical paths of reason. I must have a good solid automobile, one that eschews the futile trappings of worldly ennui and asks only for basic maintenance. My Dodge Dartre offers me this elemental solace, and as interior parts fall off I am struck by the realization of their pointlessness. I may not know if the window is up or down. It is of no consequence.”

13 Likes

I’m disappointed that BB’s tagging system only brings up 2 “Already Regretting” articles, of which this is one.

Weren’t there more?

3 Likes

7 Likes

I’m just happy for Alex that he never had to listen to lovely lovely Ludwig Von through that abomination.

5 Likes

I’m sure that, in our future, it will be Google Russian™ and Google Korean™ and will translib wibbly-wise.

6 Likes

There are about six. This is the easiest way to find them:
https://bbs.boingboing.net/search?q=already%20regretting

2 Likes

Burgess’ book “A Mouthful Of Air” - on the origins of language - is a very good read and worth the effort. I shall not be revisiting it on any kind of device.

5 Likes

Appy polly loggies, droog… but I kopat @beschizza razkazz, dedoochka. :wink:

2 Likes

No, it isn’t. It’s a mixture of Russian, Roma, Cockney slang, Shakespearian English and Malay.

6 Likes

Thank you. Burgess will forever be in my pantheon of great writers simply for writing an introduction to ‘Gormengast’ and saying that Peake wrote like Dickens drunk on words. He did at least one decent study on Joyce also.

2 Likes

I know that Clockwork Orange is written in that argot. What I wrote used anglicized Korean slang instead, because the folding lemon is from Korea.

If a third person tries to nerdplain Nadsat to me I will make an example of them. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes