Supercut: cursing without cuss-words

[Read the post]

Adorable! Some of these I wouldn’t count. They’re real insults in real words, just not the words we classify as “dirty.” The cutest ones are ones like “gorram” and “farging ice-hole.”

French tickler isn’t even a euphemism. It’s a… thing.

4 Likes

So every frelling Farscape episode then…

2 Likes

What, no T.V. clips? What a bunch of smegheads.

I mean, felgercarb!

3 Likes

Where’s the “airline version” of Hot Fuzz? PEAS AND RICE!

fart you, monkey flipper.

1 Like

So how did the euphemism in “A Clockwork Orange” work out? Did they get the PG rating?

3 Likes

A classic one from the Simpsons that has forever been stuck in my head:

Holy Flirking Shnit!
1 Like

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

2 Likes

Those weren’t euphemisms. Burgess crafted an entire slang vocabulary for the droogs, based on both Russian and Cockney rhyming slang. The book even has a glossary.

1 Like

Showed up for “scruffy-looking nerfherder.” Left satisfied.

1 Like
3 Likes

Burgess resisted the inclusion of the Nadsat glossary:

The novel was to be an exercise in linguistic programming, with the exoticisms gradually clarified by context: I would resist to the limit any publisher’s demand that a glossary be provided. A glossary would disrupt the programme and nullify the brainwashing.

Pretty sure Misery wasn’t trying to dodge an R rating in the US. Annie’s substitution of words like “cockadoodie” for common swear words is straight from the source novel, and meant to convey her prolonged immaturity and isolation from ordinary society, which gives a plausible reason she’d be so insanely invested in the Misery Chastain series. (She even gets apoplectic at the swearing in Paul’s manuscript-in-progress.)

2 Likes

He may have resisted, but the old paperback edition I had came with a glossary, plus an essay on how he developed the language.

1 Like

Sufferin’ Succotash!

The Battlestar Galactica reboot was one of my favorites.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.