James Brown in Rocky IV

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/james-brown-in-rocky-iv.html

Wait a minute!

5 Likes

Friends? I don’t remember that

2 Likes

Yes I do remember that time. I had a jacket I don’t remember where I got that was worsted denim and red leather and had CCCP on it with the hammer and sickle, and given that I was 6.4, muscular, and had slightly spiky red hair, the good people of Utah were perturbed at my existence.

5 Likes

haven’t you ever played RISK with your friends.

3 Likes

No wonder Apollo Creed lost, he was probably all tired from his dance number he did prior to the fight!

4 Likes

Such capitalist decadence.

2 Likes

No

And neither do my Russian friends! :rofl:

I’ll see your Communist Party and raise you one Ski Party:

2 Likes

Friends? Yes, I believe about five years and change after this, for a few fleeting seconds during a month or two after the Soviet Union collapsed, everyone thought that the cold war might be over. Innocent times.

That scene featured the Jubilee! showgirls and the set and stage props and elevators of the Ziegfeld Theater at the old MGM Grand (now called Ballys) in Las Vegas. That show ran from 1981 to 2016. Jubilee! was the last traditional showgirl show in Las Vegas. Many Rockettes and classically trained dancers contributed their talents to the show. When it ended many fine union craftsmen/women, stage technicians and others lost their jobs they had held for many years. Don Arden’s creation, nurtured and guarded by Fluff LeCoque, featuring Bob Mackie’s multi-million dollar costumes went dark. A cultural treasure was lost. We can still get a glimpse of its greatness in this video.

3 Likes

A couple of appreciations of James Brown by Eddie Murphy:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.