Jan. 6 committee refers criminal charges for Trump to Department of Justice

Originally published at: Jan. 6 committee refers criminal charges for Trump to Department of Justice | Boing Boing

18 Likes

Lock him up!

26 Likes

I’m looking forward to the day when his clothes match his tan.

24 Likes

Conspiracy to make a false statement

That charge also happens to sum up von Clownstick’s entire career.

24 Likes

27 Likes

Beau, I needed one whole day to feel good about this - was that too much to ask? :weary:

BTW, I don’t agree with asking the question because candidates for office and pols lie or flip flop all the time. For reference, review 45’s Impeachments volumes One and Two (as well as SCOTUS nominee questioning about “settled law”).

12 Likes

Don’t be too disheartened. I took away a lot of positives from that video.

5 Likes

Fixed that for ya.

11 Likes

The government really needs to step and charge this guy, because if they don’t - the next person who isn’t a total clown will run roughshod over the political norms and maybe get away with it this time.

14 Likes

It would suck if a future GOP president did pardon him… but he also seems to be saying that the overton window is moving to the left, and that’s good news…

Yeah… it’s not all bad.

Agreed, but they seem to be moving in that direction, and the slow pace means that they are taking it seriously and crossing all their ts and dotting all their is. At the same time they want to make sure this never happens again, they also most definitely want to get it right, and leave no room for error, because that could be worse in the long run. I get that people are mad and want to see Trump brought to justice (me too!), but it would be far worse if they screwed up the case by rushing it, and he got off because the government fucked up the case. That would mean he was legally “innocent” and free to keep fucking shit up.

19 Likes

Please let me be wrong.

What about?

3 Likes

Yep, take your time, do it right.
Do it thoroughly, please.

11 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I want to make sure that he’s convicted properly and there is no room for appeals based on a faulty case by the government.

14 Likes

I agree. Nothing moves slower than the pace of government (though corporate gives it a run for their money, some times.)

The documents case is even more sound, IMO.

But this action would be a historic one and I am not optimistic enough to think that it is a foregone conclusion he will be charged once all the evidence is gathered.

2 Likes

You’d think, with that Mountain of evidence, there’d be no wriggle-room for the tangerinebastard.
Here’s hoping not.

7 Likes

As much as I would love to see consequences for Trump, I just have no hope whatsoever that there will be any.

I’m sorry, @KarlS, but I simply cannot be that defeatist. We could be on the brink of turning a corner here.
Any bloody corner.
Look, tell you what, have a toffee, it always cheers me up:

16 Likes

I still keep thinking of this… I was a little kid then but it still seemes relevant today.

ETA: while we’re at it; why not…

3 Likes

In this case, it also includes the judiciary and law enforcement…

No, but I don’t think we should take no charges thus far as some kind of evidence of there never going to be charges.

It’s not just about them having the evidence, it’s how to sift through it, build, and present their case, and to make sure that what they DO have is admissible.

I think you’re wrong, FWIW. I think that the pace tells us that Garland is taking this seriously and wants to make his case air-tight. This is unprecedented, so fucking it up would have long-term consequences… I could be wrong, of course. But I do think that this is being taken seriously by enough people to get shit done.

22 Likes