Jan 6 inquiry votes to hold Steve Bannon held in contempt for refusing to give evidence

Originally published at: Jan 6 inquiry votes to hold Steve Bannon held in contempt for refusing to give evidence | Boing Boing

8 Likes

At the risk of sounding like a member of what Glenn Greenwald called a “sadistic liberal mob”, I would love to see this fascist orc chieftain hauled before the commission in manacles and held to account for his part in the assault on liberal democracy.

39 Likes

I hope this is just a feint while they exercise their inherent contempt powers and arrest him.

31 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but I was raised to believe that receiving a subpoena kinda meant that you either showed up, or got arrested. I wasn’t aware that there was a whole “Well, now that changes things, we need to agree that you aren’t gonna cooperate and then make another decision” aspect when dealing with the government.

Fully admitting that I’m not a lawyer here, but really, is there a reason that he couldn’t have just been served with papers and then apprehended for failing to appear?

39 Likes

The Committee has passed a motion to petition the House to request a hearing to preliminarily investigate the possibiliy of drafting a proposal to write a letter of recommendation for subsequent action to be considered pending legal review. Strap in, folks

24 Likes
15 Likes

They’re going to vote on asking the DOJ to charge him tomorrow.

13 Likes

WHERE ARE THEY NOW, 2031:
Stephen Bannon plans for a return to the political scene after his release from prison did not go well. After losing a series of financially crippling lawsuits he disappeared from public life.
He and his life partner, a coyote he’s named Trixie, live in a refrigerator box behind the dumpsters of the Clown Motel in Tenopah, NV.
If you buy him a bottle of Night Train, a can of dog food, or a box of Ivermectin, he’ll dance for you.

19 Likes

This is congress, not a court of law, so I believe the process is different.

15 Likes

i hope the day is coming when this guy finally gets what he richly deserves. the man behind the orange man, tearing this country to shreds for his own motives. if there needs to be an example set for punishment in relation to this failed coup, let the example be this piece of shit.

10 Likes

Lock the traitor wannabe arsonist up.

(Liz Cheney) "…suggests Trump was “personally involved” in the planning and execution of the riot.

“Mr. Bannon’s and Mr. Trump’s privilege arguments do appear to reveal one thing, however: they suggest that President Trump was personally involved in the planning and execution of January 6th,” Cheney said.

“And we will get to the bottom of that,” Cheney added."

19 Likes

I hope so.

18 Likes

As @KathyPartdeux alluded to, there is an “inherent contempt” process that the Congress could use if they wanted to. It hasn’t been used since 1934, but if they chose to they could just have their Sergeant at Arms (or a deputy) arrest Bannon directly without relying on the Justce Department.

15 Likes

given that they have not used it since the 30s, there might besome reason they’re not using it now? I guess we’ll see how the vote comes out and then if they can get the DOJ to nab him. Hope springs eternal, I guess?

13 Likes

The Capitol Police force has 3,000 employees under the Sergeant at Arms.

16 Likes

Yeah, among other things they don’t have their own jail. This article explains some of the history:

9 Likes

There was The Old Capitol Prison where the Supreme Court sits now.

11 Likes

Yeah… not a fan of that.

9 Likes

I’m assuming that only Yertle gets to do that kind of shit because reasons.

6 Likes

Maybe they can lock him in a closet somewhere. If it was good enough for congressional staffers trying to survive an armed insurrection it’s good enough for him.

17 Likes