Japan TV show pranks unsuspecting people with elevator problem

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/30/japanese-television-show-prank.html

3 Likes

It’s funny because they think they’re about to die.

41 Likes

When I’m about to die I likely will shit my pants, just a heads up on that.

22 Likes

I can’t believe they fell for it.

26 Likes

And for some strange reason, it was always a woman that they did it to…

27 Likes

I wonder if the audience expects screams? A potentially racist assumption to explain a potentially sexist scenario…

3 Likes

We are this close to “Ow! My Balls!”

16 Likes

“sadistic standards” Guessing somewhere on your bookshelf there is a manual.

3 Likes

This particular video was all women but on YouTube they show the prank on guys, as well.

10 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that too. But you know… it’s Japan and all that.

1 Like

So… do Japanese elevators usually come with a bowing elevator man? I would think that would raise some suspicions?

1 Like

Their tort liability laws must be fascinating.

8 Likes

They do, quite often.

1 Like

Fake and staged. Who gets into an elevator, stops right in the middle, and doesn’t turn around to face forward?

9 Likes

I imagine it’s the same as radio pranks in the US.

1 Like

The land of Broken Ankles
All I can think
when I see high heels
is forty five degree angles
no matter how much foam there is

4 Likes

They all knew they were going to fall #sorry.

2 Likes

Only women. rlly?

Holy forking shirtballs, this is awful. If it’s real, people would be so traumatized by this. I also can’t help but think that it would be nearly impossible to keep people from actually hurting themselves - in between hitting themselves on the rim of the trap door, and falling 3+ feet (while wearing heels, no less), there’s a big opportunity for real injuries here.

Yeah, no kidding. This is a recipe for broken ankles, even if they’re hitting bottom immediately after the camera stops.

Yeah, it’s suspicious. It seems like they’re expecting to exit the elevator on the opposite side- they’re all moving forward looking at the back wall, not even necessarily stopping in the middle, and certainly not stopping where one would turn around to press the elevator buttons. I suspect they were given some sort of instruction, even if they’re not aware what’s going to happen (and I don’t think they were - those facial expressions are a little too convincing). And even if it’s completely staged, they risked injury with this stunt.

3 Likes

Yeah the second or third lady looked really close to hitting the far edge of the trapdoor. Not cool.

3 Likes