Japanese rapper Kan a.k.a. GAMI busted for 0.5 grams of weed

Says its exactly an ounce in here

But then again its not like there’s a consortium or anything of the sorts for weed/drug measurements and terminology :stuck_out_tongue: So it may or may not be an ounce as you say

It’s been about 40 years and now it’s legal and easily available.

Yeah - I don’t remember the Department of Weights and Measurements stopping by too often :slight_smile:

The way I remember it, a lid was about an ounce and an ounce was exactly an ounce. I believe there were also regional differences too.

1 Like

I have smoked it here and there but never bought it myself so i’ll defer to those that actually know a thing or two. I’m in TX and work a job that requires me to stay clean, but man I wish it was legal here :frowning:

1 Like

I live in Washington State and travel fairly often in Oregon, Nevada, and California. In those states it’s as easy as going into a 7-Eleven to buy beer. I don’t smoke it very often any more, but I do take an edible from time to time for a couple of medical conditions.

I’ll bet it will be legal in TX in less than 10 years. It’s not like people aren’t using it there.

5 Likes

Japan was an interesting trip. Before we went, a standard injectable prescription had to be swapped out for a (very expensive) alternate one, and our luggage was searched extensively. Alcohol was available at any time of day from stores seemingly spaced 100m apart, and people often openly consumed it wherever they stood. Where I live in Canada people openly smoke weed everywhere but drinking a beer in public will net you a hefty fine.

A couple of weeks in my partner developed a bit of a cough; Tokyo in a heat wave can get pretty smoggy. We stopped at a pharmacist and what they gave us was straight up codeine+caffeine pills.

1 Like

Huh, I always wondered what Lids referred to on the Cheap Thrills album cover. The guy saying Smack? Speed? Acid? Lids?

https://www.popsike.com/Cheap-Thrills-Big-Brother-And-The-Holding-Company-LP-Janis-Joplin-2Eye-Original/201608181715.html

I knew all the right people, whereever I went, apparently- didn’t try at all honestly, I just gravitated towards the naturally crazy and weird places, which leads to interesting and extreme people.

I can attest it’s rarer up north from what I’ve seen- but plenty around Americamura in Shinsaibashi area of Osaka.

Make very good friends (very- they don’t openly make it known they have any) with rappers and you’ll eventually see some. If you know Japanese, it’s much more likely you’ll be trusted- finding it as a normal tourist, your best bet is to find your local gaijin bar late on a weekend perhaps. And that’s if you can spot real potheads among expats, and theyre usually extremely low key in Japan due to the fines and jailtime.

I should write a book about all the crazy shit I did… but I’d never have a career if me senseis knew what I were up ta.

For the record, “high” in Japanese is [ブリブリ] (buriburi). Actually means hazy, but it’s slang for being high. めっちゃブリブリ means really fucking high in Osaka dialect. Google that enough and you’ll find some Japanese hip hop with that in the lyrics, and the group will be from Osaka…

3 Likes

Nope, but I am a regular you’ve seen before. Just gotta keep that side of life and the crazier stuff I’ve done proper hidden.

3 Likes

Given the number of zen gardens and exquisite vinyl jazz bars, their draconian weed laws are a travesty. I love Japan. I would love it even more if weed were legal. A lot of Japanese say that Japan is such a follower of the U.S. that as soon as it’s legal here they will quickly change also. But I have my doubts.

1 Like

This is the exact amount a Japanese rapper must carry at all times to maintain street cred.

1 Like

When using this truly exotic unit symbol for mass, 0.5 g (g -> gram) is “half a gram” and not “a half gram” …
Sorry for the nagging, but then I discarded all the other grammatical mines (plus, I can’t sleep …)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.