Japanese rapper Kan a.k.a. GAMI busted for 0.5 grams of weed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/07/japanese-rapper-kan-a-k-a-gam.html

1 Like

Is that oregano? I’m thinking he got ripped off.

4 Likes

Hopefully, he’s got the same kind of pull Paul McCartney had.

3 Likes

I stand corrected.

1 Like

Posting as anonymous coward since I have a legit account and would prefer to distance this from it.

I hung out in Japan about 15 years ago with a lot of hip hop artists in various cities, and can attest that there is plenty of weed in Japan- and its usually around certain groups. Rappers are one of them, so this doesn’t suprise me.

Police walked past a car once that I saw being hotboxed- with the roof open- cop never stopped. The smell of the stuff is not common knowledge there the way it is in US.

I admit nothing myself- but let’s just say I’ve seen some interesting things :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

a half gram of dried oregano

Careful, man. That shit’s a gateway spice. Soon you’ll be mainlining za’atar.

6 Likes

Za-atar kind of bitter to me (just tried some cheap stuff from Sayaf, meh)
It’s The Nutmeg that is a howler monkey on my back man
Being addicted to a colonial era recreation cooking show where they use it in everything makes life… interesting. Curse you Jas. Townsend & Son! Now I am compelled to make mac n cheese for the Enkling and grate a generous pinch in for my f-f-f-fix.

6 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out how much weed is in “a lid.”

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw recent footage of a Brit Doom Metal act buying and smoking weed in Japan while playing there. It just seems like a huge risk. I guess if you know the right people…but still.

Calling Townsend’s a cooking show doesn’t really do them justice, especially with the cabin they have spent so much time on.

Still not a fan of nutmeg though. Or rather I’m indifferent to it. I often don’t bother putting it into my béchamel because I don’t seem to taste it as much as other people.

Nutmeg when used as a drug has a reputation for being quite unpleasant as opposed to it being used as a spice.

2 Likes

As long as 2020 has felt already, that’s not helping.

2 Likes

@Anon1, is that you? ;~)

4 Likes

Police say informant contacted authorities to let them know Kawakami was in possession of the cannabis

Seems a bit odd to me that the rapper would be snitched on for such a small amount of weed, would almost seem to me like someone set him up to get busted.

2 Likes

Japan is headed for a clash over cannabis laws if they don’t get with the program. There is a lot more consumption there than most people would think (my guess is mostly vape pens) and the laws are grossly unjust.

1 Like

I spent a term in Japan 19 years ago (yikes, how youth fades!). Although I don’t touch the stuff myself, it was indeed hip hop fans who had it. I’d heard from my American friends that it was really expensive, and pretty mediocre despite that.

As far as police go, I have no doubt that how it smells is not well known. I met a fair number of people wearing pot leaf shirts, jewelry, etc. but who said they’d never tried or even seen it. But, there was a couple times a friend of ours with a car drove up to a couple of Americans on the college campus to just say Hello, and the police rolled up automatically assuming it was a drug deal. White college kids talking to a guy in a car in Japan = suspicious I guess.

4 Likes

Look, the broom to the ceiling just wasn’t working, so I had to resort to more extreme measures. I’m not proud of it, but I’m trying to sleep down here.

1 Like

I’m unsure what the horizon looks like for Japan with cannabis. Considering how strict they are with all drugs, even prescribed ones, i’m pessimistic they’ll change their attitudes towards pot any time soon. Then again i say this as someone all the way from the US, curious what the thoughts are from those in Japan currently.

3 Likes

A “lid” is exactly as much as I say it is. It is ambiguous on purpose. If I wanted to sell you an ounce or a gram, I would.

1 Like

So . . . you sell weed?

1 Like